• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 600

Palomar 600 with 4 2879s. If It is the amp I am thinking of there is a jumper inside to go from low drive to high drive. Either way I dont think a dual final would be to much

Does it look similar to this one.
20230118_155544-1.jpg

I am know a little about them ;)

If it is like the vern built, all black amp labeled Palamar Elite or just 600, it may or may not have the bias shorted out to prevent the amp from being unstable.
Most of these were 1 1446 driving 4 1446 transistors.
A dual final export is about it if you want it to run clean.

Jeff

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Back in the day H & Y sold a Boomer 600, Gray 600, and Palomar 600. They were all the same amp. Like Shockwav said one 1446 driving four 1446's. I think they were class C and would be considered a low drive amp.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
On AM any radio that does not swing like mad from say a 2 watt dead key should work. Most newer mosfet Exports will probably be too hot unless you can dial the peak wattage back.

That's a pretty strong swing for an old school single final radio. Not knowing what kind of swing mod was done or what it looks like on a scope you could always give it a shot. Start out on med power on the amp and see what the dead key and peak numbers are. Then you can try the different power level on the amp, should work.

That's a pretty strong swing for an old school single final radio. Not knowing what kind of swing mod was done or what it looks like on a scope you could always give it a shot. Start out on med power on the amp and see what the dead key and peak numbers are. Then you can try the different power level on the amp, should work.
Yeah it was like that when I got it

Ok I have a galaxy 44 that dead keys 2w swings 30

Remember that AM-only models like the 44 drive the final transistor in class C. Makes it more efficient. Can't do that in a SSB radio. Takes two sideband-radio finals to reach 35 Watt peaks, more or less. We're accustomed to seeing 28 Watt peaks from the single -final AM-only "10-meter" models. The difference between 28 and 30 is next to nothing, statistically.

Reactions: DoctorAudio and 999
I hope you all don't think I'm hijacking the thread, but I'm having issues with one of the amps. Might help OP as well. Mine amp is a 600 and I just had my Galaxy 88HL's dead key matched up to the amp on the low power setting. I think that radio swings about 20 watts.
On the bench, I was getting 100/500/550 on the different settings looking at my receipt. In the truck running a Wilson 5k, I was getting a nasty squeal and amp was locking up.
So yesterday I carried the truck over to the shop and the tech worked on the truck. SWR's were high, so he first brought them down to 1.2. Then with the amp on, it was over 3.1. We used different jumper lengths and got the amp so it wouldn't lock up and the squeal went away, but the best we could get the SWR's was 3.1.
I wound up putting my Boomer 4 pill in line and now I'm rocking and rolling. I am going to try the 600 in another truck with a different radio and a Wilson 1k and see what it does. I hate to sell it to someone, and they have problems. My radio guy says these amps have a history of this sort of behavior. He doesn't mess with them. Any suggestions? Anyone techs out there that can fix these issues?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated