• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar Electronics Max-Mod. Spoiler alert!

According to what you just said, not only does the TIP36C fail but also the Palomar MaxMod. And since the MaxMod is so much better and dissipates heat so much better, what in the world were you and Co. doing to blow them up? Such a superior part should be able to withstand more demand and pressure on it...wth went wrong little buddy?
Any component can fail if you're experimenting with gate voltages. How else can you learn the limitations of a component unless you push it to its limits or play with different voltages? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the tip 36 I'm just saying that the majority of the time it fails it takes the final transistors with it. The main thing you get with the Palomar Max mod is the Peace of Mind of knowing that you're not going to take out the final section if the component fails which it has yet to do under normal operating conditions.

Reactions: Larry A McClanahan
Any component can fail if you’re experimenting with gate voltages? Any? Even one that doesn’t have a gate, such as a PNP device? A BJT doesn’t have a gate...

A bipolar is current driven. A mosfet is voltage driven.

If you’re playing with the limitations of a device or gate voltages, you’re likely killing the device... I’ll repeat YOU'RE likely killing the device. And you don’t need to learn it’s limitations because if it’s a legit device, all you need to learn that information is look at the data sheet.

Oh and that’s for a legit device. That MaxMod sheet has no derating info, no test parameters and no results from said test. The numbers it contains could’ve come from anywhere.

I’m what you’d call a hack or shyster or whatever and yet I’m smart enough to know all that. Why aren’t you? And absolutely, you didn’t answer one single question... I’m waiting.

Any component can fail if you're experimenting with gate voltages. How else can you learn the limitations of a component unless you push it to its limits or play with different voltages? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the tip 36 I'm just saying that the majority of the time it fails it takes the final transistors with it. The main thing you get with the Palomar Max mod is the Peace of Mind of knowing that you're not going to take out the final section if the component fails which it has yet to do under normal operating conditions.

you don't repair radios, and are taking some tech's word for it.
I can only guess who that is...

I would really like to hear the experiences of other techs with regard to AM regulator failures because my experience has not been as you stated.
LC

Thanks LC, I feel the same way.

In the real world and under “normal operating conditions” we don’t run power transistors without heat sinks. Or I don’t, do any of you??

Seems some people just toss math out when it doesn’t suit them. Also toss out the real world when that doesn’t suit them either, they reject reality and insert their own.

One thing about math ole boy, figures don’t lie. A liar can figure, but figures don’t lie. You might not like math, might not like the results or answer you get but it’s what it is and while you can argue it, you’re still wrong.

I hate to say it but I have never read so much B.S. A series pass transistor is only going to pass whatever it is biased to pass. There is no amplitude gain only current BY PASSED. The regulator maintains a set bias voltage and does not waiver.
I have had to repair only one radio that got smoked because a regulator shorted out and it was the one inside the alternator that failed.
I spent a very large portion of my career doing the math to manufacture the highest quality and most reliable products. The math never lied.

Well LC said it already, Rabbi doesn’t work on radios. He claims to have been to every shop in the nation but he’s not old enough to have done that, he’d still be riding. We all know where his test and “muh thermometer” results are coming from.

And that’s fine. Nothing wrong with that. But while you’re at it, show us those 1000’s of failed parts.

How do you go to a gun show with a sling shot in your hand and then stand there saying “look at muh piece y’all”???

One thing about math ole boy, figures don’t lie. A liar can figure, but figures don’t lie.
All of your mathematical figures had to do with temperature and had nothing to do with the laws of probability in regards to what would happen in case of a component failure. This makes those mathematical calculations Irrelevant in regards to whether or not a component will have a direct short or an open circuit when it fails.
You might not like math, might not like the results or answer you get but it’s what it is and while you can argue it, you’re still wrong.
I do like math. Especially when it's relevant.
He claims to have been to every shop in the nation but he’s not old enough to have done that, he’d still be riding.
How old do I have to be to have done what I've done? How did you formulate your conclusion?

All of your mathematical figures had to do with temperature and had nothing to do with the laws of probability in regards to what would happen in case of a component failure. This makes those mathematical calculations Irrelevant in regards to whether or not a component will have a direct short or an open circuit when it fails.

How old do I have to be to have done what I've done? How did you formulate your conclusion?
3 maybe 4?

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop

I’ll answer your questions after you answer all mine. How’s that? And my answer to you would probably get this thread locked, something I’d like to avoid.

I will say this : so the MaxMod has a fuse in it, so to speak? In the event of a failure (short) it will just go open and no harm done?? Awesome!!

Really don’t work like that but ok. Is that what you’re referring to with your law of probability? Or are you doing exactly what I just said, tossing it out cause you and Co. don’t like it??

Reactions: Radioman56

ok, here's some real world experience for you. pass transistors that over heat fail open, and those that got a voltage surge failed shorted.
of course there are exceptions, but that 10 out of 1000 thing is total BS.

again, you don't work on radios, but boy oh boy you do feel perfectly comfortable regurgitating 'facts' about it.
could that be because you are not even slightly interested in learning anything useful, and are just here to play games?

there's a word for people who do that and only that on the internet, what was it?
don't tell me, it'll come to me...
I think it rhymes with bowl.
mole, foal, schmoll, Grohl,
dang it! i just can't remember.
anyone?
LC

ok, here's some real world experience for you. pass transistors that over heat fail open, and those that got a voltage surge failed shorted.
of course there are exceptions, but that 10 out of 1000 thing is total BS.

again, you don't work on radios, but boy oh boy you do feel perfectly comfortable regurgitating 'facts' about it.
could that be because you are not even slightly interested in learning anything useful, and are just here to play games?

there's a word for people who do that and only that on the internet, what was it?
don't tell me, it'll come to me...
I think it rhymes with bowl.
mole, foal, schmoll, Grohl,
dang it! i just can't remember.
anyone?
LC
Oh oh oh me me me !!!

42D48A04-2BE1-4351-8025-F0E0255D5AF4.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.