• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
Anyone hear of these? are they good or bad? How about RMITALY amps? I have seen them both on ebay

kenmore5small.jpg

</p>

Palomar are mass produced amps. 6 or 7 different people using the name these days. Their ok. Some are better than others. RM Amps are another amp that works ok but is very inexpensively built.

</p>

What can you tell me about KLV Amps. I was looking at a couple different Base Amps.

Justin are you talking about the white faced units beinging sold from the west coast?

KLV units are inexpensevly built and as 1 tech said "over-enginnered"

JMO

RI126 said:
What can you tell me about KLV Amps. I was looking at a couple different Base Amps.

I hade the the 1000P and i got about 900 watts UNTIL I tried using it out of the recomended band, I tried to use it on 20 meter :roll: and it made a LOUD POP and it worked no more :(

I bought new tubes and that didnt work so I shot at it with the AR-15 :twisted: , it didnt help the amp but it sure was fun!

So if you buy it for 10 or 11 meter use, it will work fine :!:

Yep I don't think Justin was talking about them. Even though he is very familiar with them. Gary's Blueface were my favorite.

Northstar, you should put together a FAQ or compendium of all the cool inside stuff you know about the who's who of the amp and export world. Just use first names.

Does anybody know anything about the builder(s) of the Galaxy 250 BASE amp. I have one, it has 2x 2290 pills in it, a black face, and heatsinks on either side. It is NOT the same as the Palomar 250 Base that is sometimes a boomer, you know the one with the built in power supply. The power level selection is a knob on the left hand side that has low, hi, and "test" slections. On the right hand side is power, standby/on, am/ssb, and pre amp toggles, like the vern boomers have. I got it here in Il, but the dealer said the builder is in California. The thing is built like a tank, and has always worked well. I get right around 200 pep out of it, it is very clean sounding and does not do TVI hardly at all.

My experience with the Klv's has been good. I have one of each of the base models except the two big ones, the 1000/p and 1000. They work well, just subtract about 30 percent or so from the model number and that's about what power they do on SSB with about 20 watts drive. The only KL mobile I have is the 351p (now the 400). It is a 2 pill mrf-455 amp, so the model number is not indicative of the power, I get 160-170 SSB out of it, clean as a whistle. None of these see very frequent or heavy use, so I can't say what their durability might be in the long run. But they are a good low-cost solution in my book, just keep the drive down on them, they don't like more than about 20 watts of drive.

Highlander,

I dunno the guys name that built that base amp. Their has been many in Cali over the years. Justin might know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.