• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • The Winners of the three Retevis radios 16 Anniversary giveaway are announced!! Click Here to find out if you won!

Patching up a Mega Watt S700-12.

MKwrench

Wooohoooo!!!
Aug 6, 2023
125
116
53
55
My "new to me" power supply suddenly and violently poped it's fuse, I'm assumung from some sort of surge, because the same setup operates just fine on another power supply. When the fuse popped it created a bright flash like a quick welding arc, so its a good short. I just began testing across "Line" and "Neutral" until I came to the 2 switching fets in the back, they both tested as resistors.
When I replace these is there anything else I should look for, or just replace for peace of mind?
These are obsolete and Google has recomended something different each time I asked... LOL
Here are some pics of suspect parts removed for testing.
 

Attachments

  • Fets.jpg
    Fets.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Recto.jpg
    Recto.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Thing.jpg
    Thing.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

mouser and digikey both have the datasheet, both show it as obsolete, and both offer the ability to search for similar parts. Digikey will suggest parts directly and mouser wants you to check the parameters you want to match before suggesting parts. The part number of these mosfets tells some too (if you ever can't find the datasheet). 40N50. 40 is the current rating, N is the mosfet type and 50 (*100) is the voltage rating. So 40N50 is a 40A 500V N-channel mosfet.


IXFK80N50P may be an option.
 
Last edited:
The owner of mega watt is a pretty nice guy. I have had some fail and asked about sending them back but he just offers me a great deal on a new one. I am not sure if he even repairs them or not. If he does he might have some suggestions for you.
 

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.