• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Philco Compella 604 Stereo 1960-62 tube

F-STOP

Dec 20, 2016
Just getting into SWL and just remembered that I had this in my barn. Looks clean, have not plugged it in yet. Anyone know if it is a good AM/FM/SW radio for listening?

Sounds like you have done this before. Not sure what a electrolytic cap looks like, should be easy to figure this out. I have worked on military and AT&T towers. Tubes in the 60's and watched all the changes over the last 50 years. My first step will be to get the chassis out of the case and do a visual and dust off with some spray and air. Then I will plug it in. I will take some pics and post them.

I've fixed a radio or three; yes.
Its just common knowledge that electrolytic caps are the first to go; always has been and will be.
Fluid electrolyte inside dries out over time - is all.

Al-e-cap-construction.jpg

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the practice of bringing an old radio that hasn't been used in a while up to voltage slowly with a variac? I've seen this recommended to prevent caps from going.

I am not aware of that, using a variac. Hopefully somebody will jump in and add to it. I know lately with this Maine weather and low temps it takes me awhile to get up to running power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.