• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pickup truck mounting

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I need help...I just bought a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab Hemi and I am planning my install but...I can't bring myself to drill a hole through the roof to mount my Wilson 5000, I don't want a magnet mount due to possible scratches and theft. I'm thinking about mounting to center of the bed right behind the cab but debated a stake hole mount with dual whips. If mounted on cab I need a 26" shaft to get a coil type antenna over the roof. Would a regular antenna mount be strong enough to hold a predator 10k or this type? I'm running a Rci 2950cd into a midnight special 250. Before anyone says it a 102" whip is too long as this truck will be going for a 6" lift and 35" tires on Monday. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

I need help...I just bought a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab Hemi and I am planning my install but...I can't bring myself to drill a hole through the roof to mount my Wilson 5000, I don't want a magnet mount due to possible scratches and theft. I'm thinking about mounting to center of the bed right behind the cab but debated a stake hole mount with dual whips. If mounted on cab I need a 26" shaft to get a coil type antenna over the roof. Would a regular antenna mount be strong enough to hold a predator 10k or this type? I'm running a Rci 2950cd into a midnight special 250. Before anyone says it a 102" whip is too long as this truck will be going for a 6" lift and 35" tires on Monday. Thanks for all your help and ideas.
Get a metal toolbox and mount to that.

I have a Ford F-150, so the bed is probably different. But, I used an L bracket in an existing hole inside the bed behind the cab. I have ran everything on it... Wilson 5' Silverload, Predator 10K, 102" whip, etc., and it holds up just fine. Dual whips look cool, but I don't think you'll see a performance advantage. For stake holes, definitely look at the Breedlove mounts.

Brett

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Just get a Breadlove mount, and drill baby drill, oh, and make sure you get the backing plate as the cab top is thinnnnnnnn.

Something like a mirror mount but only using the L shape piece bolted to front of bed in center. I do like the thought of a tool box also though..thanks again! I'm not sure how to post pics..I'm not the greatest at cellphone technology.

Something like a mirror mount but only using the L shape piece bolted to front of bed in center. I do like the thought of a tool box also though..thanks again! I'm not sure how to post pics..I'm not the greatest at cellphone technology.
get a metal tool box. then mount either a 10k or 102 in the center of tool box. for a low profile look try a 5 foot or longer fiberglass antenna in exact same spot

The tool box will be a good place to mount your antenna and you get additional secure storage for things you don't want to put inside the cab. Plus if you live in the right area a toolbox is almost like wearing a ROLEX.
If you mount on it use a high quality mount that has the base reinforcement and with the 3/8-24 you have a very large selection of antennas available.

Reactions: Slowmover
I ran a 108" metal whip mounted on the tool box for years with good results. Just make sure your bonding is done properly, and it will work fine. If it's a box with wings, you can mount on the top. I have had top single lid boxes that swing up, so you have to mount center rear. May have to space out a bit to clear lid. I like to get the mount high enough to be flush height with the lid.

I used a 4 inch square piece of 1/4 inch aluminum and had a coworker weld a piece to it to extend down 6 inches so it is like a 4 inch wide T shaped bracket. If you can picture it against the front of the bed it has 3 large rivets through it into bed rail and then 3 large rivets into the front bed wall. It gave me a 2 1/2 inch tang to drill and mount my antenna stud to. Using 12' of 213 to feed it and I have a 102 whip and a 5' firestick I can interchange..love it so far.

Well they make a hood mount for Dodge Rams. You could go with a stake pocket mount mount. If the bumper has any metal at all that will work if you have a tall enough antenna. Finaly while it is my last choice you have magnet mounts too!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated