1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup truck mounting

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by BammBamm, Nov 25, 2017.

1. GTA61

GTA61 Member

The big deal with that truck roof is the amount of flex. They formed ribs to the metal up there but you can actually push it easily a half inch or more. I noticed that right away when washing the vehicle. Even if there were a solid 7" backer I'm sure it would have still flexed. I just didn't want any issues from the flexing down the road. It's solid now.

Slowmover likes this.

2. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I am actually a fan of the roof flex. I'm pretty sure my roof would be ripped open already if it didn't.

3. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

i was once thinking about that

4. 338_MtRushmore

I try to make all of my installs as close as possible to the dome light, if for no other reason than just inspection of the connection if I have trouble.

Slowmover likes this.
  5. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

And adding mass sheet to panels for noise reduction (car stereo forums).

I plan to try some PRODEX insulation also.

At 15 going on 16-years, the headliner in my Dodge CTD will be a tear-out. So maybe a custom replacement.

6. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

I told a guy last summer he needed to go roof mount instead of staying on the mag he was on. When he came back he praised me and said that was the best thing he’d ever done and told me I was THE MAN!!! I felt pretty good about myself.

Up until I went outside and look in his truck. He took the easy route, y’all been doing it the hard way, taking down headliners and stuff.

This guy took a lap knife and cut himself a square right out the headliner.

Yeah... think about that for a moment. This is now one of my customers...help me...please.

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.
  7. 338_MtRushmore

Form follows function, at least that's what my old man used to say.

walterjn likes this.
  8. TheRealPorkchop

Well it worked. It was easy. I never told him to gut his way in there, I just kinda thought the how part was a no-brainer. Maybe I gave too much credit?

Function does come first sometimes though.

snow bird likes this.
  9. old goat 321

old goat 321 Well-Known Member

I have a 95 f150. The headliner in it needs to be replaced. Thats when i will go roof mount. Probably with a sirio 2000. I like how they can be folded. Heres the headliner im looking at. 0074.jpg

Slowmover likes this.
  10. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

He should have only cut 3 sides. That way it would be a door. Well you did say think about it........

walterjn likes this.
  11. TheRealPorkchop

Well at least that might have looked better, maybe? But nope, a square. It was a fairly new truck, a nice truck actually. That’s what you call IDGAF syndrome, he cut it like a boss...

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.