• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Picture of inside of Sirio 5000 Performer

M0GVZ

Oct 18, 2011
6475951_1753.jpg

In comparison, the Wilson 5000. Easy to see why they have problems. All the stress of any bending is put on the coil connection at the bottom.

dsc00968sy.jpg

dsc00969mp.jpg

So I guess you can take the Sirio apart? I know the Wilson you cant without cutting it and having to glue it back together somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
5000's measure dc short and act like a shunt fed antenna with regards to noise so i presume the lower housing hides the grounded portion of the coil.

Yesterday I was out in the shop, messing around with all my old antennas, and I just happened to put the Wilson Lil Wil mag mount on the top of my tool box for a quick test. Anyway when I was done I attempted to pull the antenna off my Toolbox and the magnet stayed on the box.
To my shock I was looking under the hood of a extremely rusted out antenna base. A ll the nuts and threaded parts probably can not be cleaned. The coil looked ok, put the weather damage is significant. I used this antenna last about 9 months ago and it did work.

I did my best to clean it up, and re-sealed it with RTV, but I will never trust it again, and I will never buy another Wilson antenna.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
i use a 1k mag and also was astonished at how much moisture was inside the base as well and could see it emerging from the coil there is essentially no seal around the plastic part that butts up to the outer cap. works well. just wish there was a way to easily dissassemble the thing so you could dry it out once in a while. works great but any time it rains real hard and i leave the antenna on my vehicle the swr goes higher than a dry day. and yes i clean the bottom of the magnet every day. just to try to keep the swr down. may not be totally necessary only running 100watts but is a neccesity if you want to keep your transciever finals alive.

I don't have that swr problem with my wilson 1000 mag. It's fine in the rain. Might be getting rusted, but I don't really care as long as it still works. It's only a $70 antenna.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated