• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Plate Transformer

Hamfests by far unless you want to drop some big bucks and go new. Ask some local old timer hams. Some of them are bound to have some old plate modulated AM gear around in parts.

Good suggestion CK.

I have basically stopped going to ham fests or swap meets.

Getting hard to find parts. E Bay has killed the parts market.

Years ago one could go to a ham fest and come back with enough parts to build a couple of multi band amplifiers, now a days you would be lucky to find a transmitting tube.

Prices at ham fests at least here in the Southern states reflect E-bay prices usually. Occasionally a good deal can be found but it is rare.

Sources are drying up here too but now and then someone has a good plate transformer available sometimes for simply hauling it away so he does not have to carry it back out to the car at the end of the hamfest. (y)

That is so true, I recall years ago meeting an op at the fest, he had a huge honking Plate TR at his residence, settled on the price, a BBQ sandwich at the vendor booth, then a two hour drive to his QTH and had that old military transformer loaded in the truck.

Those were the days.

It is almost cost effective to purchase non working amps and then repair it instead of build from scratch, unless the junk box is big and full.

Since it is the highest priced component, where is a good place to get a plate transformer? Thanks in advance.:confused:

Visit some of your local radio stations and talk to the guys in the engineering department. Many old tube transmitters are being taken out of service and replaced with solid state gear. In the past year I've scrapped several 1kW FM transmitters and expect another couple 5kW transmitters to be dismantled shortly. Some stations may even have spare parts kicking around, free for the taking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.