• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Please educate me on what type of coax to run

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I did a search but came up empty handed.

I see there's RG8X, RG8M, RG58/U, RG213/U....for a mobile installation on a vehicle that utilizes an ECM to control fuel injection and ignition timing, which would be ideal to go with? And what's the differences between them all?

Thanks!

For a typical HF mobile installation, any of the types you listed would work just fine. I won't recommend that RG-8M, but the rest are good for it. If you run 'extra' power, then the biggy is tuning the antenna and not using 'low quality' feed lines. That 'low quality' refers to the shielding (97% or better) and the right characteristic impedance. It's a good idea to stick to 'name' brands, they worry about their reputation where 'smaller' companies don't (at least not to the same extent).
Is there anything 'wrong' with using a larger, or higher priced, or 'better' reputation kind of feed line? Nope, but usually there's just no need. There won't be any 'huge' differences in performance, or what you hear, unless there are problems somewhere else.
- 'Doc

(The biggy with the differences between mobile and fixed station feed lines is the length of the run of that feed line. Longer runs usually mean a slightly higher loss because of that length of run. Think in terms of 100 feet increments.)

Thanks. It sounds as if there may be a few brands to steer clear of?

Around where I'm at the closest we have is Radio Shack, which I have no idea what brand their coax is.

There happens to be a truck stop 20 miles from me that carries Barjan brand coax, any idea on if it's any good?

There are a few brands that I steer clear of, but that's me. There are three 'name brands, Belden, International, and the Times Microwave (LMR) stuff. The rest are made by those 'name' brands, but not always of the best quality. Unfortunately, both the brands you mentioned are not what I'd call decent quality. I honestly have no idea about the 'Barjan' stuff, but can say that Radio Shacks 'standards' have gone down from what it used to be, stay away from it unless you just have to.
Not very specific, huh?
- 'Doc

... There are three 'name brands, Belden, International, and the Times Microwave (LMR) ... I have no idea about the 'Barjan' stuff,

... and steer clear of the "spin-on" connectors,.... use a solder pencil(y)

Spin on connectors...like the ones you see at a truck stop that say you only need to drill a 3/8 hole instead of a 7/8 hole?

I seem to remember that the Wilson coax commonly sold at truck stops was made by Belden. I'm not sure if that is still the case...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.