• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PLEASE HELP! need advice about mobile issue

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
hi all,

im hoping someone can help me with a solution to my problem, because as it stands, i cant run a linear in the mobile.
if i cant run a linear, my mobile is pretty much useless.

it seems that my amp is causing a problem with my "camshaft position sensor".

it will cause the car to die if i am sitting still, and lurch and jerk around trying to die if i am in motion.

i was having a problem with the car dying at stoplights (1998 dodge stratus)
and the code was for the "CPS".

replaced it yesterday. for about 50.00.

today, tried the radio and all hell broke loose.

it mustve been the linear that damaged the old one too.

this little part mounts right on the side of the head, and has an electrical connector on it.

my hood is not bonded with ground straps yet, and im wondering if this might help.

tin foil tape over the back of the sensor?

any other ideas?

thanks for any advice,
LC

ferrite on the antenna cable wont do anything for this situation.

i have not tried ferrite on the wires of the sensor, but i feel like the sensor itself is what is picking up the RF, so im not sure it would help.

i will go snap a ferrite choke on it just to try it though.

thanks for the comeback,
LC

what kind of amp are you running and how hard are you pushing it ? if youre pushing it too hard you may have splatter/harmonics causing your problem that could be corrected by simply running the transistors properly or reducing your output . also what kind of antenna do you have and where/how is it mounted ?

its a Texas Star 250 DX (2x2290).

i am giving it about a 2 watt deadkey, and the radio may swing to 20 watts or so.

i run a drake low pass filter after the amp, so i dont think the harmonics are the problem.

i run a wilson 1000 magnet mount on the center of the roof.

i will be hard mounting it to the roof very soon. wonder if that will help.
LC

DTB,

do you think the swing of this radio is what is causing problems with my Camshaft Position Sensor?

dont you think its more likely that the high level of RF that any linear puts out is the problem?

have you ever seen this before?

i was hoping you would comment on this, thanks for the comeback,
LC

Ground every thing, straps between the doors-body, hood-body, engine block-body. RF leaking will kill sensors and CPU as well if it is enough power.

Watch that Drake TVI filter too.... Some of them need to be grounded and can actually radiate.
If your going to sheild anything... the first thing I would do ( provided your amps and radio are decently grounded) would be sheild the wire going to this sensor.... if it isnt a twisted pair, try twisting the wires up. You can take the sheilding off an old piece of coax and slide it over the wires running to the sensor..... ground the sheilding at either end.
Try moving up to a better coax from amp to antenna..... if you can use a bigger better coax for a jumper like lmr 400 ( if you can) do that also.
Lower the drive into the amp as well as other suggestions from fellow members.
If there is nothing more you can do with coax or grounding.... sheild the wires going to the sensor.

my #3 truck is a '01 gas powered dodge ram truck with 5000 mag mount & LT & 2x1446. truck would buck & hesitate, run rough while keyed, wipers had a mind of their own, factory alarm would set, unset or just plain go off, anything that could go wrong, would. replaced antenna with a 'trucker' version 5000 on an mfj 3 mag mount. i removed mount & coax & replaced with radioworks version 9913, added silver teflon ends, and EVERYTHING stopped succumbing to gremlins. now a dx250 & dx1600 reside in the rear seat area, along with a deka battery. truck required an alternator & wiring change, but gremlins are gone. did nothing to computer or any other factory electronics. there is also a '99 dodge intrepid locally with a custom 8 x 2879 driven by a 6900ftb & a trunk mounted 8' whip using 217 (or 218?) coax. no problems. in NJ, somebody-funky station?-i don't remember, running a 16 box on a durango with magnets. maybe those instances are incredibly good luck, maybe yours is unfortunately due just to the particular car, not neccessarily make & model. common denominator seems to be coax is NOT cheap rg58 that generally comes with mag mounts. of course keep antenna as far away from computer/car electronics as possible.

I had a similar (but not as severe) problem with my radio and amp in a Volvo 770 (big truck) Every time I would key up, all the dash lights and LED's would light up.

AA1QD is right - ground everything with braided ground strap....radio and amp chassis to body, doors to body, hood to body, trunk lid to body, engine block to body.

Also, make sure the battery had a BIG ground cable, and its connection to body (chassis) is clean and a good contact. It wouldn't hurt to run another ground cable from battery to engine block or alternator mount base.

hi all,

im hoping someone can help me with a solution to my problem, because as it stands, i cant run a linear in the mobile.
if i cant run a linear, my mobile is pretty much useless.

it seems that my amp is causing a problem with my "camshaft position sensor".

it will cause the car to die if i am sitting still, and lurch and jerk around trying to die if i am in motion.

i was having a problem with the car dying at stoplights (1998 dodge stratus)
and the code was for the "CPS".

replaced it yesterday. for about 50.00.

today, tried the radio and all hell broke loose.

it mustve been the linear that damaged the old one too.

this little part mounts right on the side of the head, and has an electrical connector on it.

my hood is not bonded with ground straps yet, and im wondering if this might help.

tin foil tape over the back of the sensor?

any other ideas?

thanks for any advice,
LC

PLEASE DO NOT REPLACE ANYMORE PARTS IN THIS VEHICLE!!!!!!!

Your ECU system is not designed to accept incoming RF at that level. This is a major issue with Dodge vehicles and their patented ECU systems, they are junk. I have seen so many cases where the RF is beating up Dodge systems, it's rediculous!

The best thing you can do is buy another vehicle, trust me!

All the grounding and ferret-coring, and Faraday-caging in the universe is not going to solve your problem.

See my handle? Dodgem250 (Dodge) ???? Trust me on this one, I have the experience, not just the guesswork... Be here, done this!

BUMP-BUMP!

Dodgem

dodgem,

VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

this is what i have been thinking also.
just get another vehicle!

please tell me more about your experiences with linears in dodges.
i am just curious, not trying to "fix" this problem anymore.

PS- im sending you a PM, maybe you can help me.

booty monster,

i think you may have misread something.
my wilson 1000 is hard mounted to the roof, and i am using LMR240 from the antenna to the low pass filter.

thanks for the replies,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.