• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PLZ PLZ HELP IDENTIFY ANTENNA + TUNE

Simbalage22

Jul 8, 2010
Detroit MI
Antenna Identified [Ringo Ranger II (ARX2B)]

I got this antenna off creigslist. Said it was ham. I'd like to use it for cb till I get my ham.. Anyways does anyone know who makes it? How to set it for cb> When I connect the newly purchased coax to it and my dosy the swr redlines as if there is a short.. its not the line, has something to do with the coil on this baby.. Anyone? I had it all installed on my roof and this heat wave havent been able to mess with it.. 3:51am went and took er down to share with you folks :) Anyone I am desparate... 200 bucks at this new hobbie and I cant Dx yet..

Attachments

• DSCF2057.JPG
    DSCF2057.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF2061.JPG
    DSCF2061.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2058.JPG
    DSCF2058.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2060.JPG
    DSCF2060.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Hmmmm...that looks like some sort of a VHF antenna maybe.The rectangle stub that is up on the main mast of the antenna makes me think that it is for VHF..

I have seen a VHF antenna somewhere that looks like that one does,cant remember where I saw it at though... :headbang

The only way to know for sure would be to put an analyser on it and see where it is resonate at

But anyway,that is my guess off hand....and welcome to the board !!

22 it looks like a two meter collinear antenna to me and it will not work on 11 meters. How long is it?

Maybe it is an old version of the Ringo.

http://www.radioworld.ca/product_brochures/amateur_accessories/cushcraft/cus-ringos.pdf

Thanks For that info.. That was the MAIN clue into finding out exactly what I had on my roof, and why my swr was redlin'ing like there wasnt even an antenna connected

Hmmmm...that looks like some sort of a VHF antenna maybe.The rectangle stub that is up on the main mast of the antenna makes me think that it is for VHF..

I have seen a VHF antenna somewhere that looks like that one does,cant remember where I saw it at though... :headbang

The only way to know for sure would be to put an analyser on it and see where it is resonate at

But anyway,that is my guess off hand....and welcome to the board !!

THANKS!!! for that quick response.. Yea I dont have tools to check the resosonce you mention.. I got it awhile ago off creigslist and the guy said it was ham.. So after getting sick of seeing it in my garage I put it up and got the grey coax (Ouch) soldered the pl259 connectors and saw that swr jump.. Though it was coax until I tested it, and the antenna itself is designed to short ground to center via that bottom coil.. Couldnt I just connect center pin to the center of rod and use it on cb? I have read that some antennas do have tuning rings so go figure.. Comparing to my mobile Firestick there is no condinuity from ground to center pin

Last edited:
Ringo Ranger

22 it looks like a two meter collinear antenna to me and it will not work on 11 meters. How long is it?

Maybe it is an old version of the Ringo.

http://www.radioworld.ca/product_brochures/amateur_accessories/cushcraft/cus-ringos.pdf

Hey, Thanks for this info.. Looks like this is it

Google Image Result for http://tireblock.com/antennagraphs/images/RingoRanger2/ne8r_RingoRanger2_c.jpg

So can this be tuned for cb? how much are they worth? Maybe sell it on ebay if it cannot be used, or possiby keep it for when I go ham, but still dont know what its for

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/278239.jpg This looks like it (UNASSENBLED)

Last edited:
Keep it for when you get your ham licence, it looks like my friends ringo and if so work very nice for 2 meters.

In the meantime, what would I have to do to use it for cb? Tubing is tubing. If I removed the ring from the bottom thus leaving the connector and rods how would it work? I am new to all of this and want to start with cb because no way will my wife want to get her liscense to communicate with me

Quick-n-dirty, no you can't modify it for CB. At least not with out ruining it's 2 meter capabilities, I wouldn't recommend that.
It really isn't that difficult to make a CB, or 11 meter antenna. Not all that expensive either. There are a couple of ways of doing that which would leave you the option of either selling that 2 meter antenna, or using it if/when you get a license.
- 'Doc

VHF isnt that tv? So I could use it for tv till (if I even decide) I get ham? I need both tv and cb antennas.. But just invested money in coax and linear so cb is mostly important

Quick-n-dirty, no you can't modify it for CB. At least not with out ruining it's 2 meter capabilities, I wouldn't recommend that.
It really isn't that difficult to make a CB, or 11 meter antenna. Not all that expensive either. There are a couple of ways of doing that which would leave you the option of either selling that 2 meter antenna, or using it if/when you get a license.
- 'Doc

without worrying about 2 meters for a min... How would you go about "Destroying" or whathave you this antenna to make it work on the CB frequency? I dont plan on putting any more money into this hobbie until I get it to do something other then sit here..

Last edited:
Build yourself an 11M dipole and leave the 2M antenna alone until you have your ham license. That way you get hands-on experience with an antenna that WILL work for CB. You'll learn for yourself just why the 2M Ringo won't work on 11M.

Build yourself an 11M dipole and leave the 2M antenna alone until you have your ham license. That way you get hands-on experience with an antenna that WILL work for CB. You'll learn for yourself just why the 2M Ringo won't work on 11M.

Yea for a change I listened to you all... I got a cb antenna (MACO V/58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL CB ANTENNA ) but i noticed the ring is wore pretty bad.. looks intact but wind is going to snap it I can tell... But for learning sake I am going to store that 2m away and forget I have it.. unless someone responds to my ad before I get the darn liscense LOL>...... Thanks all...

- 'Doc

Agreed!

I got this antenna off creigslist. Said it was ham. I'd like to use it for cb till I get my ham.. Anyways does anyone know who makes it? How to set it for cb> When I connect the newly purchased coax to it and my dosy the swr redlines as if there is a short.. its not the line, has something to do with the coil on this baby.. Anyone? I had it all installed on my roof and this heat wave havent been able to mess with it.. 3:51am went and took er down to share with you folks :) Anyone I am desparate... 200 bucks at this new hobbie and I cant Dx yet..

That is why it's always a good idea to know what you are buying before you lay the money down. It's also a good idea why spending about 40 bucks on an ARRL Antenna Handbook is a great idea.You can even find copies available for free downloading,just use google to find one.

Agreed!

That is why it's always a good idea to know what you are buying before you lay the money down. It's also a good idea why spending about 40 bucks on an ARRL Antenna Handbook is a great idea.You can even find copies available for free downloading,just use google to find one.

Well I got an offer for it... 30.00 which I think is far.. To be totally honest guys I am A.D.D and some take advantage of this. However for some reason when I really get into something I am smart and what not (like hacking cellphones, esn changes, DSS satellite ect..) but if its something (usually important) I forget or cannot remember ect ect.. so I dont think I could pass the ham test because its not really something I am into...but I figured I got this new antenna and its for cb.. aside the problems physical condition its a great starter antenna, as well as picked up a 142 cobra base with supposidly having freebanding and all the goodies... but again no mic so I cannot use it :( Got so caught up on its features didnt even realize there was no mic.

you can buy a mic for it pretty cheap on ebay.

just find a mic that says, "wired for 5 pin cobra" and it will work for you.

good luck,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.