• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

POOF !!!!!!!!

How do you know it was 7.8 Kv? Whatever the voltage that was a mean mother of an arc flash.

just an educated guess , but having shown this to several of my colleauges , they all think the same thing

doesnt really matter to that guy ;)

probably shorted his wrench ,

gotta wonder if thats what you see hitting the floor after the lights go out

bottom line , BE Careful , when you are around big power

73's

If I had to guess I would say it is much lower voltage just by the fact that the man had no high voltage gear on (arc flash protection) and it is inconceivable that the power could be on in the electrical cabinets with the doors open with that kind of voltage. Either way there was a LOT of current available.I know of a local electrician that was working on a 660 volt three phase panel.When he threw the switch to energize the equipment the panel exploded and burned him severely. He is disfigured for life. The panel could only be energized with the door closed and as a result of a fault downstream, the resulting arc flash caused the door to blow off in the explosion nearly killing him in addition to the severe burns.I have worked around DC voltages as high as 5000 volts but even with a dead short that would just go BANG!!! and scare the hell out of you with the green and purple flash as it could not supply much more than a few amps before tripping the cutouts.Low voltage (220-660) with mega-amps is a differant story.I was always much more comfortable working with a transmitter with a few thousand volts than I was working on 220 volt AC service panel.

One note:Ever notice that the power disconnect switch on most AC panels is on the right hand side? Also ever notice that 90% of the people are right handed? Where do about 90% of the people stand when throwing the switch? That's right,they stand right in front of the friggin' panel! I always make a habit of either standing to the right of the panel and use my left hand if I can throw the switch with my left hand or turn around and place the panel to my right and use my right hand. Either way I NEVER stand in front of an electrical panel when throwing the switch.Some of the safety switches at work switch 440 volt three phase and are simple lever switches that rotate. The guys thought it was weird that I stood off to the side when turning them on or off. After I explained why I do it they began to understand. They still don't do it but I do.

I'd like to know what he was doing in there...it almost looks like he's got a hacksaw in there sawing away at something....right up until the fireworks...

If I had to guess I would say it is much lower voltage just by the fact that the man had no high voltage gear on (arc flash protection) and it is inconceivable that the power could be on in the electrical cabinets with the doors open with that kind of voltage. Either way there was a LOT of current available.I know of a local electrician that was working on a 660 volt three phase panel.When he threw the switch to energize the equipment the panel exploded and burned him severely. He is disfigured for life. The panel could only be energized with the door closed and as a result of a fault downstream, the resulting arc flash caused the door to blow off in the explosion nearly killing him in addition to the severe burns.I have worked around DC voltages as high as 5000 volts but even with a dead short that would just go BANG!!! and scare the hell out of you with the green and purple flash as it could not supply much more than a few amps before tripping the cutouts.Low voltage (220-660) with mega-amps is a differant story.I was always much more comfortable working with a transmitter with a few thousand volts than I was working on 220 volt AC service panel.

One note:Ever notice that the power disconnect switch on most AC panels is on the right hand side? Also ever notice that 90% of the people are right handed? Where do about 90% of the people stand when throwing the switch? That's right,they stand right in front of the friggin' panel! I always make a habit of either standing to the right of the panel and use my left hand if I can throw the switch with my left hand or turn around and place the panel to my right and use my right hand. Either way I NEVER stand in front of an electrical panel when throwing the switch.Some of the safety switches at work switch 440 volt three phase and are simple lever switches that rotate. The guys thought it was weird that I stood off to the side when turning them on or off. After I explained why I do it they began to understand. They still don't do it but I do.

I agree, most likely 3 phase 480 due to the redness of the flash, 7.8 kv would have a distinctive bright blue ball and anything above that would be a white flash.

I FEEL SORRY FOR THAT GUY I HAVE BEEN ELECTRICUITED 7500 VOLTS. IF NOT FOR THE LORDS GRACE I WOULD HAVE DIED THAT DAY I AM THANKFULL TO BE ALIVE. SOME YEARS LATER MYSELF AND 15 OTHER PEOPLE WATCHED THE FATHER OF 5 CHILDREN DIE IN A POWER LINE ACCEDENT IT IS A HORRABLE WAY TO DIE. THEAR WAS NOTHING WE COULD DO.

My buddy has been electrocuted three times.

The first two were 34.5 kv, took some skin and a finger.

The last might have not been electrocution, but burns from a 345 Kv flash over to the bucket truck he was in while it was moved in a sub-station.

The truck had fused u joints, blown tires, a hole in the cab roof, among other damage.

Lots of skin grafts and surgeries since then.

We used to work http://www.keystoneinsulatorcleaner.com/ here.

That might even be the same truck.

My buddy has been electrocuted three times.

The first two were 34.5 kv, took some skin and a finger.

The last might have not been electrocution, but burns from a 345 Kv flash over to the bucket truck he was in while it was moved in a sub-station.

The truck had fused u joints, blown tires, a hole in the cab roof, among other damage.

Lots of skin grafts and surgeries since then.

We used to work http://www.keystoneinsulatorcleaner.com/ here.

That might even be the same truck.

Picky point: if he's been electrocuted, he's dead. Period. He might have been severely shocked, but if he lived to tell about it, he wasn't electrocuted.

"Electrocuted" means "dead".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.