• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable Package

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
I'm in the process of putting together a Transportable radio package containing my FT897D,Rig Runner 4005C, West Mountain Plug and Play interface, IC SP-10 speaker and 18Ah battery with the Whatts up meter. The FT897D also has the two internal batteries and the LDG 897 meter. All this will be placed in a game keeper case. It may take alittle while to configure the box but, I think it will be a nice set up when it's done. I will post pics shortly. Stay tuned

I saw on ebay recently where there was a case that you could get that had a foam base where you cut out the exact size and shape of your radio equipment.

You will probably know what they are called, but I can't remember.

I, too, have an FT-897D, and would like to look into some way of hauling it portably myself....

The case you are most likely refering to is a Pelican case. The one I am using has wheels and an extendable handle like a suitcase. Here are a couple of pictures. I am trying to figure out the right placement so these items are just placed on here for now. If you would like to see where I got the idea from, look up wa6ube on Youtube and look at the field deployment video.

TransportableCase002.jpg

TransportableCase001.jpg

I will have a 18Ah battery also, placed behind the speaker with a Whattsup meter to obseve current draw along with battery life. There are two batteries already installed in the 897. I have a spare 897 battery which I most likely won't need because I will be able to charge the internal batteries while using the 18ah battery. The meter and radio will be plugged into the Rigrunner behind the meter. I have a DTMF remote control microphone and a Heil traveler headset/mic that fit nicely in the compartment below the meter along with the Rigblaster Plug and Play and charger for the internal batteries which will also be plugged into the Rigrunner. As you can see, there is just enough room for the necessities along with a small logbook and quick reference guide. This is going to be a great portable package for camping(not backpacking) or setting up a quick DXpedition. the antenna I will be using with this will be my Buddistick multiband vertical, which is a great antenna.

I searched online and found a place which wasn't the cheapest place but, was in the US. The name of the place is called...
Multi Service Corporation
8650 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210
I think it goes by Distribution Center
USA
Cost is around $80.00
Search for GameKeeper, Game Console Case

yes, I was referring to a Pelican case..... just hadn't heard the name a lot - therefore it slipped me.

I hope you get it all figured out!

Great setup!!

They are very good cases but, I was looking for something that wheeled around and was fairly weather proof. The case also has a carry handle on top and large legs on the bottom to keep it off the ground. The top of the case can stay closed in inclement weather and can open as you see to allow for air flow in the hot weather. The radio and all equipment will stay inside for operation, whereas with the Pelican case the equipment must come out. It is mostly for transport. So, I was looking for something that would transport and also make it possible to operate from. I did consider the Pelican case first though, until I saw this one on youtube.

I am just about complete. Waiting on the battery which should be in tomorrow. I got the rigrunner and meter mounted and all the Anderson power poles connected to all the wires and got them into the rigrunner. The Whatsup meter is in line and waiting for the battery. Latest pics....
DSCN1427.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

Well, as expected, the battery came in and I was able to complete my portable station. Everything I need is in one nice package.Although, admittedly,it is pretty heavy which I took into account when I bought the box with smooth rolling wide wheels and a extendable handle. All-in-all, very pleased with it. I can't wait to get it on the air. I ordered a antenna analyzer to help with the antenna set up. Once that comes in, I will open up the camper, crank up the heat and put her on air.

DSCN1428.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

nice set up
i like the full portable factor

i think i need make my stuff more able to take it on the run easier

my only criterzation is
great radio gear

why the poor antennas

you can have the best radio in the world
means little without good antennas

you have exellent radios
but only so so antennas at best
(not refering to what antennas would be used while portable)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.