• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supplies and amperage draw AT-6666 -> KL503

Hello,

Trying to figure something out. I have a PowerMax 50 amp switching power supply.

I have my AT-6666 (rated 12A) and a KL503 (Rated 30A) that it runs.

My symptoms are that the 503 just shuts off after 10 minutes of SSB chat. The 503 isn't even warm, much less hot.

So is my 50A not enough to drive these both and the amp is shutting down due to power starving?

I'm pretty sure this is a power supply thing, your input is appreciated.

According to schematic there is no circuit can behave like that.
Maybe someone modded it with thermal breaker. That would explain why it goes off after some use than comes back to life.
Mike

You have some bad solder joints in the amplifier. The KL-503 has some very cheap switches installed. If you try to resolder them they will quit working.

I 2nd the notion - looks like you'll need to pop the hood and extract the board to inverse-tigate. :(

There may be more than one reason and it may be related to the switching circuit used to toggle those relays.

If you use "sense" and put too much power into it - well, you cook the transistor and it will quit, and eventually fail - the "Sense" circuit does not take too kindly to hi drive radios - so something is afoot with the 503 that usually a 203 deals with every day...

For you to say it's cool to the touch scares me even more - in my use of amps if it's not warm in 1 minute I'm not driving something right. IF something is not bolted down to transfer heat away - it may shut down and force a power down - so again, look under the hood and see if there is something afoot - or a hand - or even a errant nut left behind from a squirrel.

If the amp shuts down and the radio is still on and transmitting then the power supply is fine. I assume you are running both off the same 50 amp supply. Your in line external watt meter can confirm this. Sounds like your amp is messed up, the kl503 has no kind of auto shut down feature.

Reactions: sp5it
Some notes of mine from 2015.
Optima @ 10 PEP SSB | 3.8 amps | Dummy Load | Power Supply at 13.8v
MFJ-826B Meter, Megawatt 36s P/S

KL-503
Variable | Amperage Draw| Output
Setting 6 | 32.5 amps | 200 watts
Setting 5 | 30.6 amps | 192 watts
Setting 4 | 30 amps | 185 watts
Setting 3 | 28 amps | 160 watts
Setting 2 | 26.5 amps | 149 watts
Setting 1 | 18 amps | 70 watts

Reactions: TheRATT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.