• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply choices

Hairball

May 19, 2020
Indiana
I used the search and found many differing opinions. I am looking to get a good, simple power suppy for up to 200 watt output. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

I don’t think you did.

MEGA-Watt clearly stands out in positive reviews and low price. The number of each, thereof.

Doesn’t make it best choice or even best value.
But that number of reviews (favorable posts) clearly stands out.

What’s the fuse rating of the equipment?
Multiply by 1.15-1.25

So, some may feel differently but i believe when it comes to supplys to buy big, buy once. Face it, youve been bitten by the bug and it wont be long before you feel the fever.
Megawatt sells a 50 amp supply that you can run in parallel with other megawatt supplys as you need more amps. I run 2 in parallel for 100 amps. A 100 amp powermax (1200w) will run a 4 pill and a high power mobile radio like a stryker 955hp. Supplys arent cheap and to me it doesnt make sense to be upgrading every year or so as my station grows. I wind up with drawer full of supplys i never use but dont want to sell. Either buy big once or buy something you can build on as your needs change because they will ;)

Have had MegaWatt and Alinco DM-330MVT. Both great.
Now have Samlex SEC-1235. 30 amps. Non-adjustable. Checked it immediately after installation, 13.85 volts. One week later, exactly the same.
Fan is silent. Zero hash.
All three are great. Fan on MetaWatt is loud in some people’s ears. I was okay with it. But definitely not as quiet as the other two.

Reactions: Tokin
My old ASTRON liners will likely all out live me. The 35M and 50M out lived their previous owner. Also have 2 20M's I got in the 90s. Never a problem.
The 35M is my main shack power supply and I did the battery backup mod so I have hundreds of amps if I needed them for short term off the battery if there was ever a need.

Modern switchers definitely win for efficiency and big amp numbers but their longitivtiy seems short.

Thank you all for your feedback. I did search thru the forums. Pyramid, Megawatt, MFJ, Alinco, DPS, Texas Star and a few others came up. I did not dig deep in the reviews, my mistake. Thanks again for your help everyone.

Definitely agree with all the responses, especially about buying more amperage than what you need at present. Will save $ in the long run.

Reactions: S&W357
Being old school, I still prefer linear supplies like my Astron, but I never had the need for anything over 50 amps either. They’re quiet, no fan, and I only need to replace a couple of caps on the rare occasion.

Reactions: Holydvr
I do like the Astron’s quite a bit. I have run a 35 continuously for around 3 years. It has only needed a capacitor in all that time.

Thank you all for your feedback. I did search thru the forums. Pyramid, Megawatt, MFJ, Alinco, DPS, Texas Star and a few others came up. I did not dig deep in the reviews, my mistake. Thanks again for your help everyone.
I have a Powermax 100 amp and plan on using it with my RCI2970N3. Still looking for the best voltage to set it on for safe use either the radio. This is like a mystery it seems. I have it set to fixed output not charging. I think I eould rather the fan run all the time than just come on when it starts getting . What voltage do most run for their 300+ watt radio like a RCI2970N3

I have a Powermax 100 amp and plan on using it with my RCI2970N3. Still looking for the best voltage to set it on for safe use either the radio. This is like a mystery it seems. I have it set to fixed output not charging. I think I eould rather the fan run all the time than just come on when it starts getting . What voltage do most run for their 300+ watt radio like a RCI2970N3
13.7V - Unless I'm wrong, that is operating vehicle battery maintenance voltage
I don't know whether my RCI2970N4 would operate on anything higher than 13.7VDC. It doesn't have an indicator of voltage draw.
Sadly my PM3-75 doesn't have means to set steady voltage. I concluded the LK as in PM3-100LK is the version with this capability. Will you verify yours is an LK version?
My Stryker SR955 shows LCD voltage readout. I adjust DaveMade PS200 to 14.7V output and Stryker shows waffling between 13.7 and 13.8V.
I don't doubt my linears, any one of 3, could benefit to a small inconsequential degree at 14.7; but the radios, I believe, have strict voltage regulation circuit.
I also do not believe in not taxing this circuit; so, 13.7V it is.

Recently received Fleebay offering for BLUE LED FAN KIT BASE STAND w/ Built In Ext Speaker RANGER RCI 2970 N2 N4 Radios. Maybe bloated pricing but Foot print width sits comfortably atop Cobra 2000 speaker. I believe the N3 is also sized right.

1663344222351.png

Sturdily built with wrinkle coating. You can just barely make out the toggle switch, center underside front. Almost inaudible fan.

As to fan on your Powermax PM?-100*. I imagine there is an operating temperature for peak efficiency. In a bone chilling operating environment this operating temperature may never be realized with the fan on constant.

The Powermax Charger/PS, LK version, is IMHO the best! It's not a gifted with front face metering and never used front knobs. Ok, once in a blue moon you might think about tweaking 'em, just cause you can. On that blue moon occurrence take out a Phillips and tweak voltage output on your PM PS. Doesn't take a genius to build an external box with dual meters; I dun did it. Tuck the PS away remotely and route small neatly packaged auxiliary meters front and center. The PM has flexibility of uses, as long as it is the LK version; more than the numerous others costing more for far less amperage;

Last edited:
13.7V
I don't know whether my RCI2970N4 would operate on anything higher than 13.7VDC. It doesn't have an indicator of voltage draw.
Sadly my PM3-75 doesn't have means to set steady voltage. I concluded the LK as in PM3-100LK is the version with this capability. Will you verify yours is an LK version?
My Stryker SR955 shows LCD voltage readout. I adjust DaveMade PS200 to 14.7V output and Stryker shows waffling between 13.7 and 13.8V.
I don't doubt linears, any one of 3, could benefit to a small inconsequential degree at14.7; but the radios, I believe, have strict voltage regulation circuit.
I also do not believe in not taxing this circuit; so, 13.7V it is.

Recently received Fleebay offering for BLUE LED FAN KIT BASE STAND w/ Built In Ext Speaker RANGER RCI 2970 N2 N4 Radios. Maybe bloated pricing but the radio sits very nicely onto it. I believe the N3 is also sized right. Puts you in mind of them cars with LEDs casting colored lights below them
You can safely run at least 14.5 volts which is what most automakers are running these days. Older GMs used to run 14.8 and older type B Ford systems ran 15 volts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated