• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
Hi all , I know Molecule did a review back in 2015 on the Chinese p/s's my question is I thought there was one on Amazon that was decent and reasonable that put out around 30 amps ? I just need something for a bit because my old "200 Gray " needs a trip to Gate Keeper ! It started sounding like I was holding my nose ! lol It always ran clean and I try to do that . I cut down to 1/2 watt drive with my Cobra 2k it helped but still not right .Also how hard is it to find the right wires to use on a PC p/s my meter reads voltage but not amps , never played with one so I don't know . Thanks , Leo

I bought a 30 amp a couple months ago for 30.00 shipped to the house and it works just fine. it has a small trimmer on it to increase the output from 12 volts to 13.8 volts.

Reactions: 357magnum
Amps need to be drawn to measure from a power supply, Many p/s have meters to check voltage and amperage draw.

For your p/s, if there is an adjustment for voltage, do what Sonoma did and bump it up to or near 14 volts. This you can check with a volt meter.

Power supplies are typically rated and marketed in maximum amperage draw. You should always check spec's for average or RMS draw which can be up to 20% or so less than peak, make sure that covers your needs with some headroom.

An example is a 35 amp p/s most likely will around 27 amps average.

I bought a 30 amp a couple months ago for 30.00 shipped to the house and it works just fine. it has a small trimmer on it to increase the output from 12 volts to 13.8 volts.
Thank you Sonoma , do you remember which one you bought ? For a long time a P/S would pop on the adds on this page and no longer does I believe it was carried by Amazon .

I was wrong I bought the 40 amp and he is out of it. he has a 30 amp for 23.99. here is his link so you can decide which you want. mega watt is the one that use to pop up. it still does ever so often. mega watt is a bit higher but do not know if it is better or not, the one I bought works just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142182942124?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441249790670&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

here is the link for mega watt also. you can compare price and decide which one you want to buy.

http://www.12voltpowersupplies.us/

I was wrong I bought the 40 amp and he is out of it. he has a 30 amp for 23.99. here is his link so you can decide which you want. mega watt is the one that use to pop up. it still does ever so often. mega watt is a bit higher but do not know if it is better or not, the one I bought works just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142182942124?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441249790670&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks again Sir , I believe the Molecule did showed the Mega Watt was a bit cleaner but I will check them both out , it's just temporary but who knows I'm having a problem getting a hold of GateKeeper and I hear he's swamped .

the mega watt being about twice the price I would think it is better built. the one I bought seems to work just fine and I do not get any noise into the radio from it. mine has a fan on it that comes on when it warms up. some complain about it being loud but I do not notice it being any louder than my pyramid 52 amp power supply. in fact my 52 amp with 2 fans on it gets rather loud at times . it cost new way more than the new ones out now.

you are right about being cheaper. what I like about the one I bought a couple months ago is it does not take up much room on my desk. the pyramid is very large compared to the switching power supply. I bought the cheap one because it does not take up so much room. so far it seems to do every thing I wanted it for.

it does not have a on off switch so I put it on a power strip and use it to turn it on and off. I was looking at putting a on off switch on the power supply but after getting the power strip for 3.00 from harbor freight tools it works just fine. no need to mess with putting a switch on it.

My MegaWatt S400-12 has served me well for about 3 years now I think it is. Maybe even 4yrs. It always just works and has never given me an issue. Cost for one of these is $60 plus shipping. They also have a 30 amp version for $50 plus shipping. 2yr warranty on all PS units and with the good CS that MegaWatt has, he may replace on out of warranty I'd venture to say. At any rate, if you don't find the one Sonoma is speaking of, I would recommend any of the MegaWatt power supplies!! No hash on any freqs I have heard with my IC746. And they are adjustable as far as power goes minus the 50a version. The smaller ones go from 9-15vdc. Hope this helps and good luck finding a PS!! Good evening.

My MegaWatt S400-12 has served me well for about 3 years now I think it is. Maybe even 4yrs. It always just works and has never given me an issue. Cost for one of these is $60 plus shipping. They also have a 30 amp version for $50 plus shipping. 2yr warranty on all PS units and with the good CS that MegaWatt has, he may replace on out of warranty I'd venture to say. At any rate, if you don't find the one Sonoma is speaking of, I would recommend any of the MegaWatt power supplies!! No hash on any freqs I have heard with my IC746. And they are adjustable as far as power goes minus the 50a version. The smaller ones go from 9-15vdc. Hope this helps and good luck finding a PS!! Good evening.
Definitely the best bet out there for switching power supplies!

Those other lower cost ones will work but you take your chances if they will put noise on your radio. Most of those are computer power supplies and weren't designed to be hash free for uses other than computers.

Mega-Watt supplies are priced very reasonable and were designed by a radio operator to meet the needs of radio operators.

I still prefer the expensive and heavy regulated P/S for my 500 watt HF amplifier. I use an Astron 70 amp for this and a 35 amp Mega-Watt for my radio and accessories.

That's what scares me about the " Cheaper " ones if I get a bad one I get Hash , I heard the difference on the review and I want to keep it clean my luck I'll get a bad one . I think I'll get the Mega Watt and play it safe ! Thanks all ! 73 and God Bless , Leo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?