• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Powering a Ranger 2950 as a base radio

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good morning ,well iam going to be using my Ranger 2950 as a base radio and was wondering what kind of power supply i should use?? I saw a Radio shack 19 amp on ebay for 50.00 brand new,could i use that or should i go higher?? Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated,many thanks and God Bless!

I have been using my MegaWatt power supply now for about a year it works great. It has a cooling fan, that is a little noisy but not bad. You will just have to hook the supplied wires up and set the volts. I also have the same radio shack power supply. It worked well for me as well. Just need something that gave a little more output. The Megawatts are available in three different amp needs.

Reactions: Tallman
i second the megawatt p.s i have 3 of them. the first one ive had for 4 years
still works great. the other 2 are spares

I run the Megawatt 50A on my TS350HD nice and clean output. Turned up to 14.5v and it does great. The fan is noisy in the 50A so I unplugged it. The little amp doesn't pull more than about 20A I would bet and I run the power supply with the cover off to keep an eye on the temperature. Always nice and cool. The small power supplies have quiet fans from what I am told.

Well i appreciate all of your suggestions, i found on ebay a Radio Shack 25 amp switching power supply slightly used,looks it great condition for on $39.00 and i decided to jump on it,looks like it wasnt used very much and it comes it ebay money back if iam not happy.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
A 2950?

Won't draw more than about 5 Amps if it's set up properly. Might pull 7 Amps on sideband, if the limiter is cranked way too high.

I normally recommend using a power supply rated for half-again more than the radio's current requirement.

More is fine, but if what you need is 5 to 7 Amps, a rating of ten would be perfectly safe, as a rule.

A rating of 19 Amps would be more than enough, regardless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.