• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K

Ok Eddie, in the interest of not being too confusing I am starting over with this post and all new measurements.
These are the proper dimensions.
Please disregard the old measurements.
I had some issues with the first ones.

The dia of the coil material is 1/4 inch.
The coil length is 5 15/32 center to center of the material where it makes the bend, I have to eyeball this so that's as close as I can get.
The coil turns are 7/8 of a inch apart center to center of the material.
The coil ends are 180 degrees apart.
The coil comes out of the insulator, makes the bend and then there is 5 full turns, and then a half a turn to get back in the other side.
The insulator is 5 7/8 long.

The length of the material of the coil to were it goes into the insulator is 7/16.
This is to the center of the bend where it goes into the insulator.
The outside dia of the coil is 3 7/64 across.
The top section is 6 1/4" inch long and dia is 7/8" same as the bottom tube.
The full length of the 22" shaft shaft antenna is 81 inches.
The full length of the 27" shaft antenna is 85 1/2"
And on both the 27" and 22 " the bottom shaft is 7/8" dia.

46 1/2" is the whip length for the 27" shaft and whip length for the 22" shaft is 46 3/4" to the top of the corona ball.
These are exposed lengths.
The whip is 0.125 in the.

I brought them back with me so if you need other measurements let me know.

20221122_130607.jpg20221122_130619.jpg20221122_114150.jpg

Attachments

• 20221122_124538_HDR.jpg
    20221122_124538_HDR.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221122_124609.jpg
    20221122_124609.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Ok Eddie, in the interest of not being too confusing I am starting over with this post and all new measurements.
These are the proper dimensions.
Please disregard the old measurements.
I had some issues with the first ones.

The dia of the coil material is 1/4 inch.
The coil length is 5 15/32 center to center of the material where it makes the bend, I have to eyeball this so that's as close as I can get.
The coil turns are 7/8 of a inch apart center to center of the material.
The coil ends are 180 degrees apart.
The coil comes out of the insulator, makes the bend and then there is 5 full turns, and then a half a turn to get back in the other side.
The insulator is 5 7/8 long.

The length of the material of the coil to were it goes into the insulator is 7/16.
This is to the center of the bend where it goes into the insulator.
The outside dia of the coil is 3 7/64 across.
The top section is 6 1/4" inch long and dia is 7/8" same as the bottom tube.
The full length of the 22" shaft shaft antenna is 81 inches.
The full length of the 27" shaft antenna is 85 1/2"
And on both the 27" and 22 " the bottom shaft is 7/8" dia.

46 1/2" is the whip length for the 27" shaft and whip length for the 22" shaft is 46 3/4" to the top of the corona ball.
These are exposed lengths.
The whip is 0.125 in the.

I brought them back with me so if you need other measurements let me know.

View attachment 61505View attachment 61506View attachment 61503
Wow! The dimensions on my 10K are much different from what you have. The diameter of the stinger / whip on my antenna is 0.150" and all other dimensions do not match-up with what you have.

Wow! The dimensions on my 10K are much different from what you have. The diameter of the stinger / whip on my antenna is 0.150" and all other dimensions do not match-up with what you have.
I got both of these antennas from Kale, he shipped them direct to me years ago.
Can you post pictures of the antenna you have?

Jeff

Took my Predator 10K off today to try a new Francis
5.5 ft antenna. They said "pre-tuned", in the ad when I bought it. I mounted it top dead center of my extended cab truck and Wal Ah! Was a 1.1 on channel 1 and a 1.4 on 40. 1.25 on 20. That's pretty close to tuned.
Nice antenna. Seems to be flexible but don't bend back too far running 60mph.
I'll put the predator back on when I get my new Breedlove mount mounted in the center on the bedrail right behind the rear window.

Took my Predator 10K off today to try a new Francis
5.5 ft antenna. They said "pre-tuned", in the ad when I bought it. I mounted it top dead center of my extended cab truck and Wal Ah! Was a 1.1 on channel 1 and a 1.4 on 40. 1.25 on 20. That's pretty close to tuned.
Nice antenna. Seems to be flexible but don't bend back too far running 60mph.
I'll put the predator back on when I get my new Breedlove mount mounted in the center on the bedrail right behind the rear window.
I really would like to see them make the old 3 wire 96" whips.

Jeff

Jeff
I do not have the technique and equipment to post photos. I used the 27" lower tube / shaft to raise the coil above the roof because the antenna was mounted on the bed rail.
I purchased my single coil 10K in 2019 or 2020.
The coil definitely has 7-1/2 loops.
Length of coil is 6-3/4".
Center-to-center distance of loops is 7/8".
Length of insulator is definitely 7".
Length of top tube is 8-5/16". Diameter is 7/8".
Diameter of the whip is 0.150"
Each end of the coil enters the insulator on the same side.
I also have a dual coil 10K.
Diameter of the whip is 0.125" / 1/8".
The Lower Coil has 6-1/2" loops.
Length of Lower Coil is 5-5/8" and the ends are inserted into the insulator at 180 degrees.
Length of the Lower Insulator is 5-7/8".
The Top Coil has 3-1/2 loops.
Length of Top Coil is 3".
Length of Top Insulator is 3-1/4".
Length of Top Tube is 6-1/4".
Using a cordless battery operated Dremel Tool, I tuned / trimmed the antennas while parked at a wide-open empty parking lot during winter at the local state park beach. I cannot explain why, but I was unable to get an acceptable SWR with the dual coil antenna 10K with the 27" bottom shaft.
The SWR with the 102" stainless steel whip and the single coil 10K was very close. I'm using the 102" whip and spring because it is more flexible than the 10K to place in the bed when I'm not using the CB.

Jeff
I noticed there is a set-screw retaining the 3/8" threaded stud at the bottom of the shaft / tube. There are no set-screws on my two 10K antennas.
It is obvious that the coils are not consistent. The diameter of the coil wire is 1/4" on all coils and the diameter of the coils are just about the same.
The differences (or inconsistencies) are; number of coil loops, spacing of the coil loops, length of the coils and the location where the ends of the coils terminate into the insulator. Could these differences explain why some of us have had a difficult time trimming the antennas to obtain an acceptable SWR?

Reactions: Marconi
I do not have the technique and equipment to post photos. I used the 27" lower tube / shaft to raise the coil above the roof because the antenna was mounted on the bed rail.
I purchased my single coil 10K in 2019 or 2020.
The coil definitely has 7-1/2 loops.
Length of coil is 6-3/4".
Center-to-center distance of loops is 7/8".
Length of insulator is definitely 7".
Length of top tube is 8-5/16". Diameter is 7/8".
Diameter of the whip is 0.150"
Each end of the coil enters the insulator on the same side.
I also have a dual coil 10K.
Diameter of the whip is 0.125" / 1/8".
The Lower Coil has 6-1/2" loops.
Length of Lower Coil is 5-5/8" and the ends are inserted into the insulator at 180 degrees.
Length of the Lower Insulator is 5-7/8".
The Top Coil has 3-1/2 loops.
Length of Top Coil is 3".
Length of Top Insulator is 3-1/4".
Length of Top Tube is 6-1/4".
Using a cordless battery operated Dremel Tool, I tuned / trimmed the antennas while parked at a wide-open empty parking lot during winter at the local state park beach. I cannot explain why, but I was unable to get an acceptable SWR with the dual coil antenna 10K with the 27" bottom shaft.
The SWR with the 102" stainless steel whip and the single coil 10K was very close. I'm using the 102" whip and spring because it is more flexible than the 10K to place in the bed when I'm not using the CB.
Interesting, I will ask when he altered the antenna.
These two are much older than yours.
I never bought into the double coil antenna idea.
Really the 10k is just a center loaded antenna.
It has the advantage of a long shaft that gets the coil up and over obstructions like the top of a pickup, and they are still fairly long.

Jeff

Reactions: Keto and Marconi
I have no experience with the double coil antennas, so I can't say how they tune.
I had no problem tuning these, I knew the whips were long and would need to be cut.
A few mins with the Dremel and a swr meter but no issues.

Jeff

Reactions: Marconi
Wow!

Recon, I was not doubting your word, but I used the lengths as I understood them from you.

However, when I added the lengths for the bottom shaft, the insulator, the top shaft, and the stinger, the lengths I underatood, did not produced the same overall lengths you also gave me.

At 84, and the health problems I deal with...maybe I was just confused and got something wrong.

Sorry that I wasn't clear for you too.
Modeling is just like you would expect when you buy some antennas and have to install and then tune them.

73's and Happy Thanksgiving,

Eddie - Marconi

I have no experience with the double coil antennas, so I can't say how they tune.
I had no problem tuning these, I knew the whips were long and would need to be cut.
A few mins with the Dremel and a swr meter but no issues.

Jeff
Jeff, you described the 27" Predator 10K just like I understood from reading about it, built long so different setups might need the tip cut down to get a very good match.

73's and Happy Holidays ahead,

Eddie - Marconi

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.