• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K

I provided individual piece-by-piece measurements prior to assembly.
"The stinger slides into the top shaft and is bottomed out."
The total overall length of the antenna with the "stinger inserted into the top shaft" is 71", not including the threaded stud. My previous total overall length of 70-1/4" was incorrect.
NOTE: The temperature was twenty-seven degrees in my garage when I assembled the antenna.
Are you trying to calculate the length of the coil wire prior to the coil being formed?
No Recon, I know it is hard work to do dimensionally work, and to do it with a passion in Freezingggg" weather is herioc and I appreciate your zeal.

As a matter of fact, the overall length of this antenna can be determined without including the coil dimensions when adding up all the vertical element lengths for overall length L".

The coil dimensions don't figure-out either, but I could surely have something wrong here too. The coil does not figure into the overall dimensions, however.

If the antenna has been disassembled, then the overall length can only be as close as practical, and that is fine...I'm hoping to be able to tune this antenna model, similar to what I would do if I had the physical antenna.

So, my having the overall length dimension is a just a basses point to check my dimesnions before I start the model.

I think Kale makes his antenna stinger on-the-long-side and adjustable...so owners can effectively tune their antennas, and his antennas need to be tuned.

Recon, in your case I was just assuming your antenna may already be tuned and I just wanted a check the dimensions as being close and accurate before I started my model.

I use to buy antennas...just so I could get good dimensions for my modeling. My first such purchase was Jay's I-10K antenna.

In my post #71 above I posted the sum of my numbers in a list, so you could check the for accuracy. How do my dimensions look for a total overall length when all are added together?

73's God Bless you and thanks,

Eddie - Marconi

Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
No Recon, I know it is hard work to do dimensionally work, and to do it with a passion in Freezingggg" weather is herioc and I appreciate your zeal.

As a matter of fact, the overall length of this antenna can be determined without including the coil dimensions when adding up all the vertical elements length. If the antenna has been disassembled, then the overall length can only be as close as practical, and that is fine...I'm hoping to be able to tune this antenna, so having the overall length is a just a basses point to get close. I think Kale makes his antenna stinger on the long side and adjustable so owners can effectively tune the antenna.

Recon, in your case I was just assuming your antenna may already be tuned and I just wanted a check the dimensions as being close before I start my model.

In my post #71 above I posted the sum of my numbers in a list, so you could check the for accuracy. How do my dimensions look for a total overall length when all are added together?

73's God Bless you and thanks,

Eddie - Marconi
Yes! My antenna has been tuned / trimmed and installed on my F350 stake pocket mount. This is why I used the 27" long bottom shaft to clear the roofline.
The overall length dimensions I provided to you are AFTER the stinger was trimmed.
Each application and assembly are unique. Maybe someone has a Predator installed with different length bottom shaft. In that situation, the stinger and overall length would be a different length. Using my antenna and application may hinder your project.

Recon here is a copy of my dimensions take-off that I used to check the dimensions rhR I interpreted from your posts...right or wrong.

it is hard to see so try using the ( - or +) keys to make the image larger or smaller

Attachments

• Predator 10K 27 inch.pdf
    195.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Recon here is a copy of my dimensions take-off that I used to check the dimensions rhR I interpreted from your posts...right or wrong.

it is hard to see so try using the ( - or +) keys to make the image larger or smaller
OK, I have taken the antenna into my house and assembled it as it would be on my truck.
TOTAL OVERALL LENGTH: FROM THE TOP OF THE CORONA BALL OF THE STINGER TO THE BOTTOM OF THE 3/8" THREADED STUD: 70-5/8".

Try adding your length dimensions together for the base element, the insulator, the top element, and the stinger.

If you don't find a difference in the overall length, then I will try again to rehash all the numbers you posted earlier.

I get 80.9375' with the mount added, and 77.0625" without the mount.

Happy Thanksgiving

Marconi

Try adding your length dimensions together for the base element, the insulator, the top element, and the stinger.

If you don't find a difference in the overall length, then I will try again to rehash all the numbers you posted earlier.

I get 80.9375' with the mount added, and 77.0625" without the mount.

Happy Thanksgiving

Marconi
Total length / height from the bottom of Breedlove Mount Pc. #209 SO-239 Connector and Pc. # 203 Quick Disconnect = 3-3/8".
70-5/8" + 3-3/8" = 74".
74" is the total length / height from the bottom of Pc. #209 where the coax connects to the Corona ball at the top of the stinger.
That's all I got for you.

Ok.
Let's add this.
22" shaft antennaView attachment 61447
From the base of the antenna where it screws down flush with the mount ( not including the stud because it is not exposed) is 22 inches.
(On the 27 inch shaft it is....
27 inches. I measured both)
The insulator is 6 of exposed length, not including the internal studs that lock the coil in place and that the top screws onto.

View attachment 61448

The top section that the stinger sits in is 6 1/4" long.
More in a bit.
What we have here is two different types / configuration of the 10K.
The outside diameter of my stinger is 0.150".
I'm almost certain the diameter of your stinger is 0.125".
I have another 10K and the dimensions you have provided match-up with my other 10K.
We do not have a "apples to apples" comparison.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The Delrin insulator, coil and top section are all the same on both antennas.
These are old antennas, I bought them direct from Kale back in 99 or 2000, before he moved.
They are the original 10k single coils.
Eddie, I can take other pictures if you need them, or specific measurements.
I seem to have lost my calipers I can't find them.
Let me know.

Jeff

What we have here is two different types / configuration of the 10K.
The outside diameter of my stinger is 0.150".
I'm almost certain the diameter of your stinger is 0.125".
I have another 10K and the dimensions you have provided match-up with my other 10K.
We do not have a "apples to apples" comparison.
Recon, my dimensions shows the exposed stinger length is 36.1875" x 0.150". See your post #67.

We agree on the stinger dimensions.

73's

Marconi

These are old antennas, I bought them direct from Kale back in 99 or 2000, before he moved.
Let me know.

Jeff
Oh no!
A machinist without calipers is like a dentist without toothpaste. Lol.....lol!

Let me know.

Jeff
Jeff thanks for your help.

Just take your tape and measure the following when convenient. I trust your eyes.

1. Overall length and diameter for coil, coil spacing c/c wires, and length for the 2-exposed wire ends L" to the outside edge of the insulator. These 2 ends should be about the same L" as the coil radius for the ends. Do the coil ends connect on the same side of the insulator, Yes or No.

2. L" for the insulator, it should be a tad longer than the coil. This part will only be a space in my model and the coil with have to connect to the antenna instead of going thru the insulator.

3. measure top tube length and diameter - I figure the bottom tube is 27" x 0.375" - not including whatever is below to the ground connection.

4. measure and describe L" x D" for whatever is below the bottom 27" base tube (shaft) like a mount.

5. top tube L" x D" including cap for the stinger if it adds L".

6. Stinger exposed L" x D" including static ball element.

Thanks, and 73's Have a great Thanksgiving.

Marconi
Just a note:
Total tuned length on the 22" shaft is 80 3/4 inches.
Total tuned length on the 27" shaft is 81 3/4 inches.View attachment 61450View attachment 61452View attachment 61453View attachment 61454View attachment 61455

Jeff thanks for your help.

Just take your tape and measure the following when convenient. I trust your eyes.

1. Overall length and diameter for coil, coil spacing c/c wires, and length for the 2-exposed wire ends L" to the outside edge of the insulator. These 2 ends should be about the same L" as the coil radius for the ends. Do the coil ends connect on the same side of the insulator, Yes or No.

2. L" for the insulator, it should be a tad longer than the coil. This part will only be a space in my model and the coil with have to connect to the antenna instead of going thru the insulator.

3. measure top tube length and diameter - I figure the bottom tube is 27" x 0.375" - not including whatever is below to the ground connection.

4. measure and describe L" x D" for whatever is below the bottom 27" base tube (shaft) like a mount.

5. top tube L" x D" including cap for the stinger if it adds L".

6. Stinger exposed L" x D" including static ball element.

Thanks, and 73's Have a great Thanksgiving.

Marconi
I will be back there Tuesday, I will take some better measurements.
I intend to find the rest of my tools, I know I moved them just can't remember where.
I will also try to get better photos.
Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated