• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator Freedom 1-K Antenna

stopped reading the replies a while back, but.....what is the OVERALL LENGTH of this....thing? is it nearer 102" then the standard 10k, which in 22"-shaft-double-coil version approaches the 7' mark? i see no SHORTENING coil, and the thicker aluminum base should only shorten it very little, making it nearer to a full quarter wave then then 10k.....so, theoretically, AND in reality, it SHOULD perform close enough to a true quarter wave inch whip, to never be able to hear/see a difference from 1 vehicle to another. let's of course make all things as equal as possible, but, really, if it's a quarter wavelength long, it should perform as a quarter wave antenna is expected, not as a coil-shortened super antenna is claimed to perform.
for the record, i use kale's antennas, have for years, prefer them to 1/4 wave whips for several reasons, and i do claim to 'obtain better results' with my 10k MORE OFTEN then with a 1/4 wave whip.....not 5 S-units, worth, maybe not 1 S-unit worth, but reasons enough to use the 10k over a whip.

JJD it is amazing how things turn out! Let the good times roll... Davegrantsr the overall length is 114" with 21' of Belden RG-8/U coax and at that I'm getting 1.1:1 match from 1 thru 40. Now the shaft becomes an active part of the antenna. By replacing some of the stainless steel with aluminum it makes it better. Everyone knows that stainless steel is not as good as aluminum If you are interested in the theroy give Kale a call. Put it this way, you do see stainless steel TV antennas! I agree with prefering a Predator 10-K over a standard 102" whip. Used a Predator 10-K with a 22" shaft and got better skip contacts, better audio and did better on the various elevations here in Maine. I have not done a test beween the Predator Freedom and 10-K. By the way the Freedom is the unoffical name. Most of the projects that happen here are given names. That is just me. The "Freedom" - means you can that is aluminum shaft and cut a whip to work on any band with 12" of adjustment! 1 - means that they are made one at a time, K - means, made by Kale. I am stating this is the new break through choice among antennas. Over have of the choices on antennas are done on performance & looks. Some operators are not coil antenna users. So with an extremely tall antenna, this may not be your thing. So is it worth the extra length? Probably not but I enjoy using various antennas. My go anywhere antenna is a K40 Trucker. I can put any antenna on that mount and when the Predator Freedom was used the mount was upgraded.

Well to make a long story short Kale made a 7/8"X36" aluminum shaft. Then I was to cut and tune from a 102" whip. In the end resulting with an antenna that tunes well, firmer stance especially at highway speeds, extremely low refective SWR, pleasing overall appearence and awesome performance.

100_8112.jpg

How much did it run you, its something I may be interested in buying. Its not a new design by any means...a member of this forum made them at one time too.

That is right this is not a new idea but when I heard about it Kale Cavel of Cowtown Antennas told me of the advantages. Along time ago he also made a 1.25"X36" aluminum shaft and greater perfomance was noted. He told me he Don`t know why but for some reason if you put a whip in a tube it works better.Right now he can only make the one I have which is just like the shafts on the Predator 10-K's. This is one piece shaft and machined to fit a cut 102" whip. The 7/8"X36" is made by request only. Contact Kale Cavel at 1-817-790-6239.

Jerry Cash

Maybe he's Kin to Johnny!
He is a distant cousin to Johnny. If anybody wanted to custom order anything they can go to Bobscbshop.com and place a custom order. Bob gets all his custom stuff from Jerry. Me personally, I prefer to go directly to the source. Bob has predator 10k shafts in all different lengths btw.

He is a distant cousin to Johnny. If anybody wanted to custom order anything they can go to Bobscbshop.com and place a custom order. Bob gets all his custom stuff from Jerry. Me personally, I prefer to go directly to the source. Bob has predator 10k shafts in all different lengths btw.

Hummmm.....Only took you 2 years to come back with this info?:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.