• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Present "shack"

Check in the making step one. Get console from worldwide DX folks on proper grounding. Step two fabricate mast.
17644.jpeg
17636.jpeg
17637.jpeg
17635.jpeg
17634.jpeg
17633.jpeg

My "shack" is my radio room, workshop, storage room, man cave, and wife's junk room. I usually straighten it up every month or so, but before long it's a mess again. It's about the size of an American two-car garage. When I got my base back on the air last July, there was a huge amount of electrical noise in my receive. Never had that before, but when I shut everything off but my receiver, the noise disappeared. I have an odd collection of ceiling lights (incandescent, fluorescent, & LED) to light the place up. Turned out that an el-cheapo China LED light was generating all of the noise. Hard to believe that one light can generate 2 s-units of racket.
Emissions from LED lights are regulated in the US, but not here. Live and learn.

- J.J. 399

Dang it JJ. NOW I'm paranoid all my amazon LED lights are tearing me up. A new hunt ensues....also love your work @Crawdad7
I had the same problem. It seems like some brand's screw-in Led light bulbs are noisy, some not. Same with LED ceiling fixtures. When I bought new lights for my shack, I took my old Realistic CB walkie-talkie with me and checked them out before buying . Shack is noise free now.

- J.J. 399

Last edited:
more to come after this weekend.
Looking great there Crawdad ! High quality work with the antenna install there for sure !

Led light bulbs are noisy,
Most are pretty quiet, but for some reason certain ones seem to make a lot of noise. Not sure if it's cheap manufacturing or just some are defective. When we bought this house I had almost 5 s units of noise in my receive. Turned out to be the dining room light fixture, which had tiny halogen bulbs fed by some sort of ballast or transformer. Needless to say, it went to the dump the very next day !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.