• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant Export Sideband Carrier

My Galaxy 99v did that when the AM limiter was clipped. People make AM monsters out of side band radios at the expense of the side band operation. Maybe the AM modulation needs to be turned down a little? It could be something else, I don't know for sure.
Chris

are you looking for advice to fix it yourself?
the reason i ask is that i thought i remembered you saying in another thread that you don't like to go inside your radios at all.
LC

are you looking for advice to fix it yourself?
the reason i ask is that i thought i remembered you saying in another thread that you don't like to go inside your radios at all.
LC

Was just seeing if anyone here may know what's up. I sent it out to be repaired and SSB was working. He did the Shotky upgrade for RX and mentioned soldering the some stuff near the PLL circuit to fix the issue with the radio just cutting off TX. It would lose audio and then TX would not work at all.

I'm basically asking if anyone would know what's up with it. Frustrating for me as I just got it back today and it's RX is awesome and cleaner. But lack of TX on sideband is killing me. AM is TXing fine. On sideband it's making the key up and apparently dropping audio (as noted by my other SSB rig in the room).

Waiting on reply from seller/tech.

Just aggravating.

That's not a carrier issue or it would be present the instant that you keyed the mic. It looks like there is feedback in the circuit causing the full power output to occur.
I would start by turning down the mic gain and see if the issue persists. And if that doesn't work I would try the radio in a different setting or on a dummy load. Maybe even a different mic to see if that might be the issue.
Get a monitor radio and see what it's doing audio wise as well.
I have 3 Grant DX radios and I have never seen one act like this.

If it were some sort of a carrier balance issue, then the dead key would show up all the time. I had that happen with a Yaesu FT101ZD that I bought about 15 years ago, but again it presented as soon as I keyed the mic.

Tried 2 different standard mics. Both have been used prior with this rig before it went out for service and they were fine then.

I turned mic gain back to say 10am and still had same issue. The minute I puffed air on the mic the meter went to 35w and just stayed there.

Can a circuit go into like oscillation and get stuck but only in SSB mode?? AM like I said seems to be working fine.

my monitor radio when this occurs sounds garbled for a second then audio just drops out.

That's not a carrier issue or it would be present the instant that you keyed the mic. It looks like there is feedback in the circuit causing the full power output to occur.
I would start by turning down the mic gain and see if the issue persists. And if that doesn't work I would try the radio in a different setting or on a dummy load. Maybe even a different mic to see if that might be the issue.
Get a monitor radio and see what it's doing audio wise as well.
I have 3 Grant DX radios and I have never seen one act like this.

If it were some sort of a carrier balance issue, then the dead key would show up all the time. I had that happen with a Yaesu FT101ZD that I bought about 15 years ago, but again it presented as soon as I keyed the mic.

I managed with trial and error to get audio out at about 10am on mic gain. But you'll notice the modulation meter is not moving and neither is my power meter. Also if I turn mic gain up too much or even puff air like I said the radio goes over tilt and pegs my needle and holds. Wondering if the mic circuit or something with that. But again AM seems fine. (Edit: see next post, AM not fine..)

Last edited:
Walks off shaking head.

And people still give perfectly good working radios and hard earned money to so called experts who 99/100 end up buggering up something rather than improving it.

Reactions: NZ8N
Walks off shaking head.

And people still give perfectly good working radios and hard earned money to so called experts who 99/100 end up buggering up something rather than improving it.

It wasn't working 100 percent when I got it last week It was having audio drop outs and transmit issues. Sent back to him to fix that. I requested Shotky mod and new LED.

This Sideband carrier and overblown modulation wasn't happening prior to that.

I dunno what happened after that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.