• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president HR2510 high swr spikes

Ok, remember I was worried you may be in over your head...

Just relax...you still have a radio...

Did you install those new caps yet?

You may need to change those first...

I was thinking you already had done that...

No havent recieved them yet and lol im not worried to much about ruining the board its just the fack it would.be way easyer with a desoldering iron

your asking me to desolder one grond tab at a time and check for continuity between it and the ground foil correct. even though its desoldered it should still have continuity because of the other ground tab still being connected and those two have a trace on the riser card connecting the two right?

Yes, it will still have continuity through the other ground trace connection. Andy said to check them one at a time. And all you need is a "solder sucker", it is quicker than using braid.

The main concern is this...

upload_2020-7-25_12-53-50.png

Although the circumstances surrounding this board being broken off - well - best left unsaid...

You can break the vertical cards - ON TOP of their ability to shear off the connections to the main PCB from themselves by vibration - I don't want what happened to a good radio - happen to you...

The above is from abuse, but I know you're trying to be careful - I don't want you to fail - but one of the main things against you is the age of the board - another is experience.

The above abuse was intentional but that was long ago - I still have the board and keep the radio as a template for comparison to others to come thru the (former) shop. Missing FM board is obvious, one of the many things you don't want to see but you can, and because it will happen.

In a way, you are dealing with a similar situation on your end right now. Your radio could wind up like that above - a broken card and have to find a way to pipe RF across it and still try to make the radio work.

So - take your time - patience is a virtue and you'll need a lot of that, as you work on a radio such as this. This isn't a simple CB, but Amateur - so there is a level of intricacy that makes an HR2510 different from other radios.

The caps may be making this problem with SWR intermittent. However, they haven't been installed yet... so the only reason why I mentioned the SWR card, is because of it's size, and proximity to the work you'll be doing. You can replace parts until the problem goes away, but the process of starting that procedure - Best we're trying to do is pointing you to where the problem is, which makes less parts having to be ripped out and the less fingering and soldering on an old radio. That efficiency you can do, the better the radio survives.

WE don't want you to stick a finger or hand by a card to support the weight of the radio as you turn it over to check soldering. That can break cards - I've seen Midlands became Epic fails from a simple rotation and the clerk is screaming at the customer "You broke it".
From Circuit Snippets
upload_2020-7-25_13-14-36.gif

Instead of a simple sale - it turns into a bad PR mess for the shop...Toxic...

The insides of this radio is a Midland 77-115 - one of many radios Midland and others produced with a Vertical card design that wound up making many of these radio concepts useless for Mobile situations - a simple torque of the bracket is enough to break the foil traces rendering the receiver useless. Bends the board, and not just the vertical cards on the main PCB, but a row of traces handing the CPU to front panel and it's communication can be sheared off from someone overextending the mic cord, pulling the front panel board and mount away from the main PCB header - poof ...

So consider yourself lucky the stories I can tell are NOT in your own Diary..

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-25_13-14-4.gif
    upload_2020-7-25_13-14-4.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 5
That reminds me of the Cobra "Plus" line of radios, where the face board is soldered to the main board along the front. Cold solder joints happen all the time, and lifted trace to solder pads too.

went and changed out those capacitors mentioned and same issue tried checking swr card didn't see anything bad there either idk am still seems to work awesome and ssb gets random swr spikes like there's something intermittent

Thanks for working thru - glad you got the caps replaced and it works well except for the SWR problems.

You know - I told you to tighten down that SO-239 on that back panel - but are you also looking for loose hardware - elsewhere in the radio?

There are several "back panel" screws that hold the board in position so it won't shift or vibrate loose and fail.

Are you checking these screw to lug - sections too?

Well, when everything else has been done...

Only thing left is Occams' Razor...
OCCAMSRAZOR.jpg
This could be something really simple, we're just not seeing it...

Does that radio have any "glitches" in it's receiver performance?

When SWR climbs, it should also reflect this on the Receiver side.

Thinking - Cold Solder joint, or something in the PIN diode section. Unless a Front Panel issue...(harness)

No recieve seemed ok but the mic jack does seem a little loose as in when i tighten the mic plug the whole jack tends to turn but i wouldent think that would be it

i could be a cold solder joint somewhere when i removed the heatsink to replace the so 239 the driver next to the final seem to have a few legs that were not soldered to the board right and came loose but i went through and fixed that issue

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.