• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Jackson PB332AA ASC

DenisTheMenace

May 26, 2018
Hi all, I have a Jackson with the Orange wire running from the ASC unit broken off.
Can anyone tell me where it should be soldered on the radio, I can't find where it has broken off.

73 and thanks.

are you sure it came off the squelch? does the squelch work as it should. I know there is a orange wire for the clarifier when it is made to track both TX and RX that some guy's will just pull it loose from the pot and run another wire to full time 8 volts.. has been a couple of years since I was inside a Jackson. here is a service manual for the Jackson. not in English but if you know how to align a radio the language is not a problem.

http://78roger.free.fr/president/manuel/service/jackson(pb042).pdf

Hi Sonoma, the Orange wire runs from the ASC unit to an unknown point in the radio.
None of the Service Manuals I have give wiring details of the ASC unit, so, I'm trying to find someone with a Jackson who may take a peek inside and find the solder point of the Orange wire. Thank you for the link, appreciated.

Do you have the Jackson II ? With the CPU Mezzanine board?

OR

Older discrete - like the Lincoln and HR2510...

Following is for HR 2510 / Lincoln series...

How many wires on the ASC - and if any are still attached, the voltages - one needs to be 8 V one needs to be set by a trimmer, for Auto Squelch - the last one goes to the Squelch Amp located by the NJM2902 - D175. The other part of the switch goes to ground - forcing the Squeclh control line to use a pre-set 2.2K resistor - as set by that trimmer usually labeled SQ.

ELSE FOR CPU MESSANINE BOARD WITH ASC....

When on, ASC switch is ungrounded - goes to 4 pin header to B1 board labeled FC552. but heads to a transistor that handles a darlington switch which turns on the ASC LED on the front panel - so it reroutes.

So that orange wire may be the power that is supplied to the circuit to route to switch, then off it goes to light ASC LED. You still have to locate the SQ trimmer, and that is where you tap the 8 volts. The other line of the for is variable resistance pot - so as you relocate the proper orientation - the variable goes straight to the VR trimmer SQ - and a buffer resistor

The other one has no voltage adjust or drop - straight 8 volts look for signs of the broken wire in the SQ area on the main PCB Board by SQ.

The FM mode is the only mode Auto SQ engages, so you know.

Will add more in a few

:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
Hi Andy, the PCB is PB332AA the last version made, black face, six bander.
All the squelch wires are intact, just this Orange wire running from the ASC unit with no obvious home! Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Yes, I thought I had one in my dungeon - guess not. But HR 2510's used a similar SMD board but it needed only 8 volts from the SQ region of the board, the SQ control had a trimmer - to the squelch control and also a branch to a fixed value resistor - then to that little board - supplied the voltage for it - so when you hit the ASC - the switch "opened" and sent the squelch circuit what that fixed value was PLUS the trimmer.

So hope that will get you localized on the board.

Hi sp5it, I have three overhead shots of the ASC unit and all have different wiring for the same board. The Orange cable on your image has lettering on it, the Orange cable running from the ASC unit does not. Trying to get my hands on another Jackson to establish where this wire runs to. I bought this rig for parts, all that was wrong with it was a blown fuse and the wayward wire. The ASC was hanging loose so I guess that was how the wire came adrift, but I'll get it sorted eventually. Thank you one and all for your time and effort, greatly appreciated.

All I saw was board schematic for Jackson II and Jackson - but not like the board in SP5IT photos. That was in 1995 - so went on what I would approach on this.

Low Boy...

ASC is Automatic Squelch Control.

A really simple circuit - a Diode, Resistor and or maybe a cap - but in an HR2510 it's the AUTO on the Squelch control - turn it all the way to the left, it'll click. When on, it works like you set squelch - takes care of some noise on the frequency, but any loud noisy RF area - it'll pop open and all you hear is the noise - it's not perfect - just a convenience. (HR2510 - Look for D175 ) - it sends 8 volts "pre-set" by a 2.2K resistor into the Squelch circuit - so that is the "preset" and it also uses the "SQ Trimmer" feeder line - so any air noise the radio generates as part of the tune up SQ setting is adjusted for - is already added in.

RF Gain affects it too.

IT "pre-sets" for FM hash noise - in helps silence the speaker when you're in FM mode. Works on AM too in the earlier Jackson versions - but not as well. Not very effective on SSB. It'll work on all modes in the HR2510 - in the 2010 Jackson - it's CPU triggered - and only works in FM - so when you set "Auto" it isn't silencing a speaker in the other modes you would not normally need it.

There's an LED lite that turns on so when the radio is too quiet, check the S/RF meter - you may be missing a call.

ASC is a neat feature, not perfect, but neat.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated