• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president jacson

stathis

Jan 10, 2014
i found a president jacson on my garage and the s meter isn't working !! help me please !!! :( :( :( can i fix it or replace it ??

You can replace it. But you will need to adjust it to make it read correctly; and that may require tools that may/may not have. Like a freq generator and other stuff. It is worth it to send it to a shop and put that radio back in working order.
xlnt radio.

thank you very much ! yes i don't have this tools but how about the money cost it too much ?

sorry for my english !!

If you don't have the tools and the proper equipment to get it adjusted properly I would suggest like Robb has said, send it out to a reputable tech and have it replaced and have the radio gone over and aligned and set up properly. JMO. The president Jackson's are a great radio and are sought after by many. One of the few good old radios that I wish I would have not parted with myself!! Great ssb radio. Again all JMO. But send that thing out to a good tech and have it fixed correctly. God bless.

you will be able to get a ranger ss3900 one that will fit it, but will show signal,rf power and swr instead of signal rf power and modulation, you may be able to open it up and switch the cards, not sure as never needed to do it, but jackson s meters are very hard to source, your best bet if you want an original is from a scrapper or a new one try Piet at Avera.NL
info@avera.nl

His English is superb, no need to translate to Dutch, you won't need part number either, he will know it. He is one of President Europe's main dealers

as old meter was probably aligned before it broke, new meter will probably not be that far off, if it is then as Robb says a sigal generator is best way to put it right and instructions can be found in manual, either at cb tricks or servicedocs.com under president in the search by brand drop down menu

it might not be meter, could be sensing diodes.

Its not just DBFL222 that thinks its a great ssb radio, most Europeans love it, shit on AM as low level modulated but works well on FM and killer on SSB, I ain't had an 11m radio that sounded better on SSB, either rx or tx

if you give us more idea of what it does do instead of just s meter isn't working i could be more specific.

does rf power meter work when tx'ing?
does modulation meter work?
are you still getting receive despite meter not working?
is it just lights not working or actual meter?
if meter moves in any mode, how far?
the more you tell the more easier it is to diagnose the fault.

it might not be the meter at fault,could be faulty meter adjust vr, could be fucked diodes,could be misaligned receiver, could be a whole host of things,

its not always the part that appears faulty causing the fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
P.S If its a silver 5 band one or black 5 band taiwan one, very collectable as are slightly better than later chinese 6 band ones, but even those are great radios.

i've had all of them except one thats eluded me, although if it hadn't been for my fucking pc freezing i'd have had a boxed like new one off e bay a few years ago, only ever seen one once, is a 6 band silver Jackson classic, thats rare as fuck.

the cb is working great i tested with an external swr meter and a power meter ( swr on 1.1 pwr about 10 watt ande when i am talking over 17 watt ) but the s meter of the radio has stuck to the " red " and never moves but it works great I talked with some people and was the best cb conversetion i have ever had !!

Jazzsinger I kick myself in the ass for ever selling mine, had the old silver face and a black face one as well, both rocked!!! They are now hard to find and if you do find them they are usually hacked up bad!!! But one hell of a radio they were. Great receive and the transmit power was great as well. Just had to know what to do to them. Used to have an old school tech that doesn't do work anymore and he loved to work on those radios as when done right they will talk the socks off most radios!! Anyway, thanks for the info and comments!!! Great stuff there sir. God bless.

Most stuck meters can be fixed with a jewelers screwdriver. The pivot point the needle moves in is balanced between two small screws with dimples in them. The screws are usually located under clear tape on the top and bottom of the meter. Over time the tension these screws place on the meter movement tends to increase and lock the meter up. Obviously we want to loosen one of these screws just enough so the meter moves freely.

The problem is they use a type of green or red glue on the small screws that makes turning them hard. I place the jewelers screwdriver on the screw and a soldering iron on the screwdriver close to the tip. The heat melts this glue quickly and the screw can be backed out. You can rock the meter back and forth or blow on the pointer to check that it is not bound up after you back the screw out.

today i went to the store and the seller told me the he want 50 euros {Cry_river} to fix it not replace just to fix !!

so can someone please to upload a video to youtube how to fix like you told !!

i have soldering iron and i know how to use it i have fixed many pc motherboards !

Shockwave described exactly how to fix it.

Once again:
Most stuck meters can be fixed with a jewelers screwdriver. The pivot point the needle moves in is balanced between two small screws with dimples in them. The screws are usually located under clear tape on the top and bottom of the meter. Over time the tension these screws place on the meter movement tends to increase and lock the meter up. Obviously we want to loosen one of these screws just enough so the meter moves freely.

The problem is they use a type of green or red glue on the small screws that makes turning them hard. I place the jewelers screwdriver on the screw and a soldering iron on the screwdriver close to the tip. The heat melts this glue quickly and the screw can be backed out. You can rock the meter back and forth or blow on the pointer to check that it is not bound up after you back the screw out.]

So you need a set of jewelers screwdrivers, a soldering iron, and then remove the top and bottom panels of the radio. Then remove the clear cellophane tape that covers the small set screws on the top/bottom of the meter. Next, choose the jeweler screwdriver that fits that top set screw. Heat up the soldering iron and place it close to the end of the screwdriver and then turn the screwdriver counter-clockwise when the red or green glue (whichever color it has) begins to soften. Turn it slowly until the the needle on the meter is freed. Plus a little bit more to give it some room to move. Put a new piece of cellophane tape on the meter to seal it back up again. That should do it. Done it many times - just like that. Meter will work fine 4 out of 5 times. Rarely do I have to replace a meter, as this fix usually does the trick.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.