• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln II AM dead key and swing

Okay the radio has been moded, tweaked and installed. There is a high and low wattage adjustment. I set the low to dead key 1 watt and the high to dead key 8 watts. It's swinging about 12 watts with the power adjustment all the way down. I adjusted the AMANL slightly, turned the AM modulation all the way up and then back it off a little. I kept the limiter in place to give some filtration. I left the SSB alone and turned the FM modulation up slightly as it is very low from the factory. The radio sounds amazing with has plenty of swing and audio. The dead key is about 110 watts and swing to 280. I would like the dead key lower, but going under 1 watt with this radio makes it sound rough (even before adjusting the modulation). While it has less swing than my Cobra 25 the modulation is louder and clearer.

The receive is better than my Cobra 25 with schottky diodes. The actual ears are about the same, but the Lincoln has better filtration. SSB is on point, very clear and dead on frequency. The noise level is very low. The radio has somewhat of a cheap feel to it, but that is everything now of days.

Glad you kept the limiters intact. Sucks you can't get the dk lower without messing with audio performance. Sounds like all you need is about 1/4 watt. Or .75 watts dk. To make the amp dk lower. It's not too bad at 110, but would be better at 70-80 watts. But hey if it's working and isn't getting hot or anything run with it. As long as you have good clean audio and signal out. Good deal!! Have fun dxing

SSB is on point, very clear and dead on frequency.

What did you check it with for "dead on frequency"?

The ones I have head on air have been off frequency around 100 Hz or more including mine.

This is an easy adjustment using the service mode menus and changing the values with the VFO as long as you have something accurate to reference it with.

glad ya left limiter intact. as for the deadkey of amp .what id do is try turning the power
down on the amp itself so its where ya want it.i cant say it will work but id definately try it

Heard one of these on 10 yesterday. Took him a while to get close enough to my frequency to work him. But it did not sound to bad though.
Rich

It's not the end of the world when a radio such as this is off frequency, it is what it is.

If I required all my CW contacts to precisely zero beat to my CQ, then I'd miss out on many a good QSO.

What did you check it with for "dead on frequency"?

The ones I have head on air have been off frequency around 100 Hz or more including mine.

What did you use to check they were on frequency on air and by what method? None of the radios in your sig are accurate enough OOTB, especially the Kenwood TS590 without the SO-3.

Some douchebag appliance operator running a $5000 plus HF rig that said it was.

Ah well. Its a best guess doing it on SSB because each person tunes in SSB slightly differently as "what sounds right" is subjective which is why I find the whole business of hams tuning dead on .00, .25, .50 etc then declaring the other station off frequency on a non-channelised band quite funny. Sometimes out of wickedness I'll just tune to a random frequency like say 28.356.13 and call CQ. Only way to do it with a radio is to monitor a CW transmission from the other station, feed the audio into a computer and use something like FLDigi to show what the audio frequency of the CW signal is and compare it to what you've set your radio to.

Reactions: hotrod
A lot of the radios is this class will12,11,and 10 meter. WWV is back on 25 mhz.
I hate the way people want to channelize 10 meter. Only HF band with channels is 60. I just tune up band from Todd, and when I don't hear anymore, I start calling CQ.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.