• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln II+ best kept secret

I do not have the ID of the pod. I have taken a photo of the pod and sent it to the OP and he will post the photo of the location and which is the correct pod to adjust.
Just by luck, I came across a video of a guy repairing a botched-up Lincoln II Plus and that is how and where I located the pod for the AM power.
I like the idea of the Lincoln II+ and the potential it has as a radio if I can only get the bugs worked out of it. I've had nothing but good said about the sound quality from other operators. Now if I could only find a locale top notch radio repairman so I didn't have to send it by way of the Gorilla Baggage Handlers ! I didn't like the looks of the shipping carton when UPS dropped it at my door back from President Radio. ( Of coarse when I wasn't home )

Reactions: Rwb
I like the idea of the Lincoln II+ and the potential it has as a radio if I can only get the bugs worked out of it. I've had nothing but good said about the sound quality from other operators. Now if I could only find a locale top notch radio repairman so I didn't have to send it by way of the Gorilla Baggage Handlers ! I didn't like the looks of the shipping carton when UPS dropped it at my door back from President Radio. ( Of coarse when I wasn't home )
i liked my last version lincoln II+ but i traded for a stryker which i like. i got no quarles with either radio. i might 1 day spring for a lincoln to replace the sorry 980 in my big truck. crapshoot screen and other things i dislike about the uniden 980

Reactions: whiteastro
i liked my last version lincoln II+ but i traded for a stryker which i like. i got no quarles with either radio. i might 1 day spring for a lincoln to replace the sorry 980 in my big truck. crapshoot screen and other things i dislike about the uniden 980
I heard the 980 were known for screen problems and I know a guy in another forum that had problems with his shortly after he got his. I have the first version and hate that loud beep when you change channels. I guess the second version was made where you could silence it easier.

I
I heard the 980 were known for screen problems and I know a guy in another forum that had problems with his shortly after he got his. I have the first version and hate that loud beep when you change channels. I guess the second version was made where you could silence it easier.
Got 1 of each.yes newer radios have a menu setting to kill the beep.
The early 1 i got is very hard to see screen n other 1 newer has irregular transmit trouble.never buy another.

I

Got 1 of each.yes newer radios have a menu setting to kill the beep.
The early 1 i got is very hard to see screen n other 1 newer has irregular transmit trouble.never buy another.
I hate the menu on the 980 and think it is BS. Some times the old radios are the best unless you get to the point you have to start replacing parts in them and your not a radio tech and can do it yourself. I like my NOS Uniden PC-122 just wish it had external adjustable dead key.

What type of bugs?

What type of bugs?
President Radio when they worked on it they didn't get it Dead On Frequency for 11 meters so you have to set the clarifier at 2:00 O-Clock to understand Everybody and that pisses me off because you would think they would have paid attention being this was the second time I had problems with their radios. That first Mckinley i got was a piece of crap and after 3 repair shops they sent me a new one and let tell you that sucker is right on the money. I turn the Fine & Coarse clarifier at 12:00 O-Clock and never have to touch it. The volume & receive on the Lincoln I think could be better. Just makes you wonder what else they could have done to make a happy customer. One thing for sure I won't talk to that A-Hole Joby at their customer service again. He sounds like some excuse making foreigner they dug up from the Pits. Yeah I know us old VietNam vets get tired of handling idiots with Kids Gloves. LOL They sure like our money !

I hate the menu on the 980 and think it is BS. Some times the old radios are the best unless you get to the point you have to start replacing parts in them and your not a radio tech and can do it yourself. I like my NOS Uniden PC-122 just wish it had external adjustable dead key.
I agree. Many frills less quality in new radios. But uniden went cheep n crappy on the 980 new or old version.works great till warrenty runs out
President Radio when they worked on it they didn't get it Dead On Frequency for 11 meters so you have to set the clarifier at 2:00 O-Clock to understand Everybody and that pisses me off because you would think they would have paid attention being this was the second time I had problems with their radios. That first Mckinley i got was a piece of crap and after 3 repair shops they sent me a new one and let tell you that sucker is right on the money. I turn the Fine & Coarse clarifier at 12:00 O-Clock and never have to touch it. The volume & receive on the Lincoln I think could be better. Just makes you wonder what else they could have done to make a happy customer. One thing for sure I won't talk to that A-Hole Joby at their customer service again. He sounds like some excuse making foreigner they dug up from the Pits. Yeah I know us old VietNam vets get tired of handling idiots with Kids Gloves. LOL They sure like our money !
shouldnt have to. fix it rite first time or replace it under warrenty.
call somewhere get a person who speaks camel heavy into english . i think they do that to piss us off n we go on our way mad

Getting ready for the coming rain I decided to break-out my Golden Screwdriver to do my adjustments to my Lincoln II+ and here are the results according to my Dosy TC-4002-SW. ( Which was calibrated to a Bird Meter ) I checked all my readings on Hi & Lo RF power before I started and recorded them so I could back up if needed be. I set my radio on channel 20 AM and my Hi RF read 15+ the Low RF read 4 1/4. I adjusted screw W2 ( AMP ) to achieve a dead key of 1.5 watts on Low RF but noticed it also brought down the High RF to 12.5 watts. Being of curious mind I adjusted everything back the way it was in the beginning and then adjusted screw W1 ( PWL ) and found on Low RF the dead key only would drop to about 1.875 watts but the Hi RF stayed at 15+ watts. That is where I decide to leave it until I got a chance to do further testing. I also noticed on SSB without the amp turned on my meter was reading about 28 watts. Just some Food For Thought, do as you wish !

Getting ready for the coming rain I decided to break-out my Golden Screwdriver to do my adjustments to my Lincoln II+ and here are the results according to my Dosy TC-4002-SW. ( Which was calibrated to a Bird Meter ) I checked all my readings on Hi & Lo RF power before I started and recorded them so I could back up if needed be. I set my radio on channel 20 AM and my Hi RF read 15+ the Low RF read 4 1/4. I adjusted screw W2 ( AMP ) to achieve a dead key of 1.5 watts on Low RF but noticed it also brought down the High RF to 12.5 watts. Being of curious mind I adjusted everything back the way it was in the beginning and then adjusted screw W1 ( PWL ) and found on Low RF the dead key only would drop to about 1.875 watts but the Hi RF stayed at 15+ watts. That is where I decide to leave it until I got a chance to do further testing. I also noticed on SSB without the amp turned on my meter was reading about 28 watts. Just some Food For Thought, do as you wish !
You'll find that the hi/lo adjustments can or will affect each other. Write down the original settings and adjust to your liking. You'll have watch your pep as that will fluctuate too. That's just the nature of the beasts. You're on the right trail

Reactions: whiteastro and Rwb
You'll find that the hi/lo adjustments can or will affect each other. Write down the original settings and adjust to your liking. You'll have watch your pep as that will fluctuate too. That's just the nature of the beasts. You're on the right trail
Yeah I got to thinking I could go back in and tweak W2 again just a little to fine tune things but first today I'll try it with my amp turned on and see what my meter is reading and maybe give a shout to see if I can make a contact. I should have tried it yesterday because DX wasn't too bad yesterday and I hope the DX is coming back again. Thanks to everybody and your help. Maybe you'll make something out of me yet besides a Knuckle Buster ! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.