• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington receives, but no transmit... HELP!

Kaiden Lemken

May 13, 2018
I have a president Washington base station, and it receives perfectly, but transmits staticky. I have adjusted all of the knobs, but it only makes things worse. It seems as though it will only either transmit and not receive, or receive but not transmit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

So far you have narrowed us down to two radios. Both of them say "President Washington" on the front.

Does yours have a 4-pin mike socket?

Or a 5-pin?

They are pretty different on the inside, so any specific advice kinda depends on which radio you have.

Even more important, have you tried another mike? The switch inside an old mike will usually become "scratchy" from oxides that build up on the contacts inside the switch. If releasing just a little pressure on the Push-To-Talk switch while it's keyed up makes scratchy sounds in the receiver that's listening to it, your switch needs cleaning. The cord on a mike will also make scratchy noises when it's nearly worn out.

If you can obtain a good working mike to try, this could be the whole problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: midnight special
Greetings!

Washington 5-pin style is a pretty old radio, at least they haven't made them in a while.

So that tells me that there may be a parody of problems that are adding to this scratchy effect...

Several things may add to what you're experiencing now...

• Dirty Mike Switch - did not know that Cobra made a "Dynamite" brand in their DYNAMIKES' line - but I' not surprised - especially if it hasn't been used in a while and operates poorly - or it's just an unpopular mike for similar reasons...

• Capacitors that have failed - they separate STAGES OF AMPLIFICATION (AMPLIFIERS) so they are no longer keeping the bias of stages separate so you have an "overamplification" of one section working into another.

• Dirty potentiometers - damp moist humid storage areas accelerate oxidization and corrosion - long term storage period - or lack of use - could explain the sporadic problems...

So - lets step back a moment...

If that is you only mike you got to use, it may be the sole problem or not, the QUANDARY is; we cannot verify it is the problem - not without another donor to check if the problem is a bad microphone switch - or a bad mike...

Usually these things come with a STOCK 5-pin microphone - so if it's got one that would help us in figuring out the scratchy effects...

Tearing apart a radio only to find out it was due to a bad switch - and it was not the fault of the radio - it was the microphone all along and all you needed to do is wire one up to check ... it is just not good karma...

Ok, got a friend with a similar 5-pin radio so you can take the microphone over there and check for scratchy using that one?

Else the radio will have to go on the "Bench" get torn apart to clean connectors and potentiometer controls - that can get expensive...

Let us know what you find...

Regards
:+> Andy <+:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.