• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pride DX300 HV transformer substitute. We hope.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's another replacement part made from "unobtanium". The high-voltage transformer for the Pride DX300 or KW-one amplifier. RF Parts sold it for years, but when they were finally gone they were gone. Peter Dahl made some back in the day, but his design plans were lost somewhere after his design library was sold. The current owner of his product line has no record of it.

A toroid transformer from Antek will do the job, but it's a tight fit. That, and the transformer's AC voltage is half what the factory transformer provided.

5WFBYH.jpg

Adapting the high-voltage board we sell for the Pride is not a big deal, but the filter capacitors are different. The 100uf caps used with the factory transformer get changed to 220uf. This reflects the way a voltage doubler works, compared to a full-wave bridge circuit.

A9rn9L.jpg

This amplifier is the derelict I bought a year and a half ago. Here's what it looked like then: https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/bought-a-derelict-pride-dx300-and-im-shickled-titless.257289/

Just now bringing it back to life. The HV transformer in this one was perfectly okay, but if I'm gonna offer this solution for sale it needs to get tested, and a set of instructions put together. This amplifier is the guinea pig. The original HV transformer goes on the rainy-day shelf.

Gotta decide, do I want to stock the transformer, mark it up and sell it with the modded HV board as a package? Or just sell the modded HV board and send them to Antek for the transformer?

3cfWze.jpg

Or give the customers a choice? Hmm, that'll baffle some of them.

While we're on the subject of unobtainium, the blower for this model is extinct, not available anywhere. The blower we use requires an adapter plate. This one is made from 1/8-inch plexiglass.

tJHPLz.jpg

It's a tight fit, but it will go.

AWcPZa.jpg

Here's the type number.

xTUwTY.jpg

This amplifier will get sold once it has a pretty new overlay on the front panel. Local pickup only. I adopted a policy with this model. The buyer brings his wattmeter, and his radio.

Both.

He can see what his meter reads placed in line with mine. If he's gonna whine about "not 'nuff" power, he can just keep the money in his pocket and go back home. No harm, no foul. And if he's gonna overdrive the box and destroy it, he can show me the radio he'll use to do it. Still his money to burn as he sees fit.

But that's a way down the road when it's done being a guinea pig for the HV fix.

Hello NOmadradio: Again impressive modification. Please show and tell when completed.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

So here's the culmination. Truly a "spare-time" project, but better late than never. The face decal came from outtkast38 at Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154738492791?hash=item2407220577:g:jScAAOSwMYlgc37L

Yi0EsO.jpg

The knob seen where the "SSB" toggle switch would normally be is attached to this 25-Watt wirewound pot.

Atbgkt.jpg

It serves as a "variable peak" control, rather than the fixed two High/Low levels as before.

The topside doesn't look much different from the pic above. But now the underside is installed, too.

1WQdUJ.jpg

Had to make our own 'wiring harness', but that's part of the deal, after all.

The rear panel is no longer stock. Since the bias control is now on the center front-panel knob, a "hard key" jack takes its place. Much more civilized way to use sideband than the "clicketa-clicketa" of a RF keying circuit.

CH9Ldc.jpg

A customer west of here has had dibs on this one since before it was cleaned up. Not likely you'll see it offered for sale on line anywhere.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.