• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pro 95 speaker

radiofreak

Jul 22, 2010
My pro95 speaker started sounding like crap. Like a tweeter, not much volume. I pulled the radio apart disconnected the speaker checked it with a ohm meter and it was 2 ohms. Is this right? Should it be 8 ohms?

doesnt it say the ohms right on the magnet?

i would think an 8ohm speaker would require to much drive for a handheld .
2 ohms is probably correct.

I looked in the parts list it shows use SP00003 which is 8 ohm 500 mw.

An 8 ohm speaker is rated @ 8 ohms when using sound/AC applied. If you used a DC ohm meter to check it - that is why it read only 2 ohms.

I would check see it the voice coil of that speaker is OK. Just move the cone gently -in and out- with your hand and see if it is locked up/mechanically compromised. If it feels like it is dragging or scraping as it moves - it's blown - forgetaboutit.

If too much power is applied to any speaker; the voice coil will get heated up and that will distort its shape. If the speaker doesn't have a free excursion of movement; then I would suspect a warped voice coil (the 'voice coil' is the part that gets the current).

Doesn't sound hard to replace; find another the same size and see if you can just mount it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.