• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with Washington

will85w4

Apr 12, 2010
Coachella Valley, So Cal
So, I was just talking earlier on my radio for a little while, maybe 30 minutes and then left it for a few hours. I was just attempting some contacts a few minutes ago and now when I key up, the meter doesn't light up or move and there's a red light (on air light I'm assuming) that usually comes on when I key up, it will flicker on, then right off again.

I tried several radio checks on AM and LSB with no luck. I experienced this once right after I got the radio. I changed the battery in the D104 handheld and it seemed to correct the problem, now it's doing it again.

Please let this be a problem with the mike and not the radioooooo

Edit: Radio is receiving perfectly, just not able to key up.

Last edited:

oh man, its all my fault!

i shouldnt have had you take the covers off the radio! LOL

there is a common problem with this chassis, and its C179.
its a little blue capacitor near the front left area of your radio.
when this cap goes bad, it can cause problems like this.
its really not that hard to remove and replace it, but if you have no experience soldering or working on electronics; it can be a little daunting.
if you decide you want to try to replace it yourself, i can walk you through it.

my first guess is this is what is going on with your radio.

the thing is, your radio is over 35 years old and radios start to have weird issues when they get old.

the most common problem is dried out electrolytic capacitors.
they are the grey cylindrical can looking things of different sizes all over your radio. the "electrolyte" in them dries out over time.

determining which cap or caps have gone bad is the real headache.

does the relay chatter when you try to talk on SSB?

old radios are like old cars. they are cool and fun, but you have to be able to work on them periodically.

let me know what you would like to do, what your budget is, if any, and i will try to help any way i can.

i own three radios like yours, and i restore them with all new caps and other upgrades so i dont have to go through what you are going through.
LC

Reactions: will85w4
after seeing your video i should mention that it could be a mic problem.

the way to test this is with a different mic, but if you dont have one, you can do a quick test with a short wire jumper, a paper clip, or something like that.

take the top cover off the radio so you can see and hear the relay.

remove the microphone plug from the radio.

switch to AM mode.

look at your mic jack on the radio, you will see four pins.
you will also notice that the threaded surround has a little nub so that the mic plug can only go in one way.

im not sure on your radio if that nub is on the top or the bottom, so im going to describe it like its on the top.
we will call the top left pin 1.
bottom left is pin 2
bottom right is pin 3 and top right is pin 4.

using your jumper, short pin 1 to pin 3.

you should be able to see and hear the relay click when you do this.
describe what you see and hear when you do this.

obviously if when you do this the meter moves over like it used to and the red light lights up; you have a mic problem.

if it acts just like it did when you key the mic, the problem is inside the radio.

lets start there.
LC

Ok, so after a lot of worry and frustration just a while ago fretting over this; the radio is now sending and receiving again like normal...

I didn't touch anything when I took the covers off, so it's not your fault!!! I have made several contacts since it's been back to it's normal operation.

WR665 "Nice Guy" Salt Lake is boooooming in down here in my area, he's the one I think you can hear in the video as well...

If the problem persists, I will get back with you LC & Mack, thank you for taking the time to watch and read...

Hope to get some conditions so we can talk someday

well hopefully the problem doesnt come back, but my guess is that it will.

if it does come back, hopefully its just a loose connection in the mic.

good luck,
LC

Ok, so after a lot of worry and frustration just a while ago fretting over this; the radio is now sending and receiving again like normal...

I didn't touch anything when I took the covers off, so it's not your fault!!! I have made several contacts since it's been back to it's normal operation.

WR665 "Nice Guy" Salt Lake is boooooming in down here in my area, he's the one I think you can hear in the video as well...

If the problem persists, I will get back with you LC & Mack, thank you for taking the time to watch and read...

Hope to get some conditions so we can talk someday
I have so cal coming right now

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.