• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Progress on Tower & I-10K ....UPDATE: It's up!!

Thankyou Steve.
I still have the grounding rods to do yet, plus I am going to need to do some "soil doping", lots of sand around here.

AC5CH said:
Very professional!
Nope. While a serious effort was made, it is anything but professional. The main problem is the rebar and tower raising fixture both extend down to the ground. These items should have been suspended so they did NOT protrude outside of the base. A professional would have known and done this. Still, it was an admirable job and it will bring hours of enjoyment. It is certainly a lot nicer than the majority of the bases I've seen!

What I meant was that compared to my tower installation and the one at the local police and fire department, etc. , this one is much more professional. I can tell a lot of hard work and planning went into it, and I would be proud to have such a set-up at my 20.

Again, great job!

Well Master Chief, I thought about all that, rebar in the ground, winch fixture in the ground, but my thoughts were this; I won't be around to much longer on this earth, so if it last for the next 15 yrs then that's all I need to worry about and I am quit sure it will go 20+ yrs.

I've got another block made the same way (with re-bar) for the other tower, just not as big as this one and with no "winch fixture but it's still doing it's job since 1976.......

But you are correct though, everything should of been "suspended". But I am no professional so that's why it was done "my" way.

You can buy small plastic rebar chairs at most construction supply houses. You can also use chunks of a broken concrete block used for block walls. Everything should be about 3" to 6" in from the sides.

Hopefully this thread will help those who come behind you.

Other than this, as I said, it was a great install. I hope you used good coax!

Master Chief said:
Other than this, as I said, it was a great install. I hope you used good coax!
I put 108' of 9913, which I will probably not buy again, the foil shield on this stuff was extremely hard to remove. Took me about 5 minutes to remove a 1/16 of it.

Well DXman, I disagree with Master Chef even if he is right about the rebar being exposed, old earth moisture will surely creep right up inside and do its dirty work. I think the install really looks great.

Another thing you might want to watch for with 9913 is with moisture getting in the feed line. The air spaced insulator in there can act like a siphon if the exposed connector ends are not sealed well inside and out.

Marconi said:
I disagree with Master Chef even if he is right about the rebar being exposed, old earth moisture will surely creep right up inside and do its dirty work.
So what do you disagree with? My only problem was with the rebar and tilt up device, as you also commented on. Or are you upset that I told it like it is and didn't give him the huge pat on the back saying "good job my son"? How does that help him or anyone else?

Its hell being the Master CHEF!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.