• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Putting a fan in a Cobra 2000 - thoughts?

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
Just some thoughts I'd like to get your opinions on:

I found a small DC fan that will fit nicely behind the transformer area on my Cobra 2000.
It's 60x60x15.4mm. I also found a 20mm wide that would work, but it would be a tight fit unless I moved the transformer a bit.

The 15.4 would have plenty of room. The trick (in my case) would be to make it look as stock as possible. I'm not a fan of CB butchery, especially on this old girl. There are some nice fan grilles that will work or maybe I can machine something custom.

Anyway... what do you think about putting a fan in there? I don't know how hot it actually gets in that area and a fan is not necessary but if it will help in the long run.... why not? Having some sort of air movement would be a plus?

Thanks,

Fan isn't a good idea IMO.
Most of the CB drift when getting warmer/colder.
Also, imagine dust getting inside.
Mike
I didn't consider the drift. Good point. I've read a little about the frequency drifting and heat. Is the Cobra 2000 that sensitive to it?

Not sure how much dust it would get as I would install it in an exhaust configuration to pull the heat out. Another good point though. Just for fun I should put a fan in a (similar) closed box and see what happens. My house is very well sealed, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it STILL gets the dust!

Completely unnecessary. Plus cb radios are pretty unstable already. Add that warm, cool, warm, cool, warm, cool with the fan and it will probably drift non stop.

Last edited:
The clock/counter module runs kinda warm with the radio side powered off. I can see his point.

But unless you have a strict preventive-maintenance cycle set up to blow out the dust, you'll just make the problem worse in the long run. A dust layer will insulate every surface it sticks to, and have the opposite effect the fan was supposed to provide.

I have fried more than one computer because I took too long to blow out accumulated dust.

Reactions: Rwb and tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated