• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quad feeds

I use a two element quad on 11m and have fed it with a quarter wave 75ohm matching stub and a choke. I find it works quite well, the bandwidth is a little narrow because of the stub, but this may be of advantage too. Impedance is 56ohms at the centre frequency, around 60 at either end of the band. I have no other data to compare though.

I agree with the four, but since I am feeding about 100ohms, quarter wave stub suits of coarse. With the 1:1 balun, I know that this is technically correct, however due to power handling/heat dissipation for my situation, I think the choke that I use comes out on top at the possible sacrifice of minor pattern distortion.

I am also interested in different ways to feed a quad. This is what Lightning Quads shows on their eBay page for bandwidth:

s-l400.png

Does anyone know what kind of match this is? I would like to do the CB band as well as 40 over and under.

Last edited:
Quote from earlier post:

Lightning Antenna's Quads use the same matching system that SE called the
SFS FEED SYSTEM. It allows the SWR adjustment close to the point where the
antenna mounts to the mast.
It consist of flexible wires (not coaxes) running along the boom and also brass rod stubs,
which are included with our set of wires. The SFS System allows the use of much more
power than a Gamma Match and results in very low SWR over all forty channels.

Take a look at the Patent here:

Patente US4236160 - Loop driven element antenna system and voltage feed system - Google Patentes

SFS provides two independent feed points, one pure vertical
polarization, the other purely horizontal. Two coaxial lines
then run to the operating position as usual and are selected by
the operator through a coax switch. (Neither the antenna switch
nor these coaxial lines are included with the antenna.)

In a nut shell the antenna is voltage fed and NOT current
fed like a traditional quad. That what allows this
antenna to be dual polarity.

I hope this answer your questions.

Thank You for interest in our antennas.
George.

Lightning Antennas
Manufactured in CA by INNOVA
Tecate, CA 95117
(408) 625-7717 Phone
(408) 457-9440 Fax
george@lightningantennas.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated