• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quansheng UV K5

I have the Radtel one and it is a Tri-band. Confirmed its outputting 3.5w on 220
View attachment 66522
Interesting! I had not seen that one. Have you looked at it on a spectrum analyser? If you have only used a basic power meter then the power you measure could be higher on the harmonics and not much on the fundamental.
If the radio does indeed output 3.5 watts on the fundamental, And you have your CTCSS/DCS tones correct, and an antenna that works on 1.25m, then I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work for you.

Interesting! I had not seen that one. Have you looked at it on a spectrum analyser? If you have only used a basic power meter then the power you measure could be higher on the harmonics and not much on the fundamental.
If the radio does indeed output 3.5 watts on the fundamental, And you have your CTCSS/DCS tones correct, and an antenna that works on 1.25m, then I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work for you.
I have an analyzer but I have not hooked it up yet. I agree with what you are saying, I will keep playing

Reactions: Pez
I received my radio today (11 days since ordering). The heft was noticeable due to the extra large battery (2200ma) with this model. Screen looks OK, sounds OK, better than my Baofeng uv-5r. Although, it came with a UK plug for the charger. It was shipped from a warehouse in eastern Canada, so they know they are stocking/shipping a UK product. I have a power supply with a 220 UK plug-in , so I am OK. I registered a complaint with AliExpress and we will see where that leads.

JISOvta.jpg

I received my radio today (11 days since ordering). The heft was noticeable due to the extra large battery (2200ma) with this model. Screen looks OK, sounds OK, better than my Baofeng uv-5r. Although, it came with a UK plug for the charger. It was shipped from a warehouse in eastern Canada, so they know they are stocking/shipping a UK product. I have a power supply with a 220 UK plug-in , so I am OK. I registered a complaint with AliExpress and we will see where that leads.

JISOvta.jpg
FWIW, I never use these included desk chargers (very low quality = fire risk). I just charge via the USB-C on the radio/battery itself.

Reactions: USXDriver
FWIW, I never use these included desk chargers (very low quality = fire risk). I just charge via the USB-C on the radio/battery itself.

Mine will not fully charge via usb-c, with the desk charger it does. I have never had an issue with any desk charge catching fire and I have dozens of them.

never had an issue with any desk charge catching fire
Me neither. I do however have a problem with the desk chargers for my Puxing & Baofeng handhelds creating RFI in my shortwave and 11 meter radios. The Puxing charger makes much worse RFI and does it even when there is no radio charging !
I have to make sure I charge the radios overnight, and then turn off the power strip the chargers are plugged into when I'm on the air.

Aren't we already talking about the radio in another forum? Think that thread may be under the Anysecu Name. Same radio and UV K5 model number. I tried one about 6 months ago after some other locals were playing with them. I wish I was more skilled with the software hacking which I am not .... and would have to get somebody else to do it anyway as my desktop is iMac .... or else buy a laptop or something to do the work but it hasn't been that important to me.
I am impressed with the on-board keyboard mod to open it from 136~600mhz straight thru. Gives you 220 ham and probably 200mhz military aviation I suppose. Lot's of coverage there that you don't get on most of these other handhelds. My AM airband receive here is very acceptable and can pick up traffic on the two local general aviation airports in my area.
Like that it comes with 2 batteries.
- Wish that it used the Baofeng Menu Platform but is very different.
Hard to complain about what the radio does do and for the cheap price. Not sorry I picked one up.

I would exercise caution as well when using it.

Regarding USB charging; this model does not have. I suspect since it was flakey in the first place with the earlier models, why bother.

BTW, my claim got rejected because my picture must have been Photoshopped and not proof enough. Meh ... this is what I expect from AliExpress and was prepared in case of this outcome. The 220v power supply I have works fine. I may just cut off the 220 connector and put on a USA plug.

JuLX5iB.jpg

Never buy anything from eChibaycomExpress that you ever want to have to deal with returning/refund/etc.

I have the Radtel one and it is a Tri-band. Confirmed its outputting 3.5w on 220
View attachment 66522
Just ordered 2 of those, with speaker mics, programming cables, and the 1/4 wave antennas for $77.38 including tax on amazon. There are several 1.25m repeaters around here, and the 1/4W I'm getting out of my K5 ain't gonna be much use. :D

Just ordered 2 of those, with speaker mics, programming cables, and the 1/4 wave antennas for $77.38 including tax on amazon. There are several 1.25m repeaters around here, and the 1/4W I'm getting out of my K5 ain't gonna be much use. :D
Cool, hope you have better luck with 1.25cm as mine is usless

We'll see. I am able to bring up a couple local 1.25m repeaters from the house with a larger antenna, even at 1/4W.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.