• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question from a novice about the Texas star mod v plus

Klint

Mar 13, 2019
My Understanding with these drive boxes , they are made to drive a linear. With the idea of it being better to hit the amp with a lower 2 watt dk , how does that work? Does the mod v box not push the wattage up before it hits the linear ?? Just trying to clear this up on what’s happening. Thanks

Reactions: worldwidejack

If you want to use an amp that needs 100 watts drive but you are wanting to use a cobra 29, the modv will take the low drive of the cobra and amplify it to 100 watts of drive for your big amp. Some amps have a built in driver, but for amps that don't, you can just use a driver like the modv.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
AM mode only.
The word linear should not be used to describe the TS mod v or the mod plus, they are single device , class c and only good(?) for AM.

Don't try this on SSB.
There is a reason there is no delay on these things....
They are great for users that like to see your output meter make wild swings as you talk on AM.
They are great for driving peak watts into amps that don't deserve to be abused.
If you have a amp that really needs 100 watts of drive and your radio is not capable of doing that I suggest a properly biased small amp that uses push pull design and set up with the radio to get the drive levels needed.
Or a bigger radio.
Something that at least trys to meet the discription of linear in operation.
And yes I have had them, used them and learned better.
My little brother got to where he could tell if I had it turned on after I spoke the first couple of words just from the sound.
And if you do add a delay to the relay and attempt to run them SSB they sound like shit.
TNT ( no not x force tnt , the company brand was TNT) used to make a Super Mod that used 2 mrf 455 transistors in it in push/pull that was still not "properly" biased but at least did not sound as crappy as the mod v did.
They are a Meterbaters dream.
They used to use a single 2290 in them I have no idea what they build them with now.
There was a bigger model that used a 2879 but Texas Star stopped building that one a long time ago.
Only person I ever knew to have the big one wasToll Free.
Jeff

Possibly, but is it 200 amps, or 200 watts? You would probably be better off asking specific questions. Vague hypothetical questions usually receive vague hypothetical answers.

Was thinking about putting a mod v in front of my tiger two hundred. I have a pretty much bone stock cobra 29 ltd classic with vr4 maxed on it.

What about in front of a Texas star Dx 400v with 4 2290 pills . Same Set up with the stock cobra mentioned earlier

What about in front of a Texas star Dx 400v with 4 2290 pills . Same Set up with the stock cobra mentioned earlier
Howabout: 'Nnnooo'?

Let me give you the game here. Amps use devices some call 'pills'. Regardless of who makes the amp and what the BS claims about their amp are, the only answer that works is knowing the max watts that each pill will handle. Except for the amps that have the 2879 pills, all other amps only require 5w/peak - per pill - to fully be driven. Any more power than that, and they will go into distortion and have a shortened life.

Sooo, you have a 2 pill non-2879 amp? Ten watts/peak - that's it. Four pill non-2879 amp? Twenty watts/peak. The 2879 pill amps require TEN watts each to be fully driven, so now you can do the math. NOT average watts; peak.

The guys that put more than that into their amps - change them for new ones after they've burned them up.

Last edited:
AM mode only.
The word linear should not be used to describe the TS mod v or the mod plus, they are single device , class c and only good(?) for AM.

Don't try this on SSB.
There is a reason there is no delay on these things....
They are great for users that like to see your output meter make wild swings as you talk on AM.
They are great for driving peak watts into amps that don't deserve to be abused.
If you have a amp that really needs 100 watts of drive and your radio is not capable of doing that I suggest a properly biased small amp that uses push pull design and set up with the radio to get the drive levels needed.
Or a bigger radio.
Something that at least trys to meet the discription of linear in operation.
And yes I have had them, used them and learned better.
My little brother got to where he could tell if I had it turned on after I spoke the first couple of words just from the sound.
And if you do add a delay to the relay and attempt to run them SSB they sound like shit.
TNT ( no not x force tnt , the company brand was TNT) used to make a Super Mod that used 2 mrf 455 transistors in it in push/pull that was still not "properly" biased but at least did not sound as crappy as the mod v did.
They are a Meterbaters dream.
They used to use a single 2290 in them I have no idea what they build them with now.
There was a bigger model that used a 2879 but Texas Star stopped building that one a long time ago.
Only person I ever knew to have the big one wasToll Free.
Jeff
Have you ever seen one of these?
ts_dx111v.jpg

ts_dx111v_connection_layout.gif

Yes that is what I was talking about above. Has 1 2879 in it. The only one that I know of the still has 1 is Toll Free who lives over in techachapi up on top of the hill.
They stopped making them a long time ago.
They made these to drive the 1200 and 1600.
AM only.
And they still sound distorted.
Really ,they have a unique raspy sound that you can notice after you been playing with them for a while.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.