• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question from a novice about the Texas star mod v plus

What about in front of a Texas star Dx 400v with 4 2290 pills . Same Set up with the stock cobra mentioned earlier

NO

Please re-read post #2 of this thread. Understand that if you want to drive an amplifier with a Mod V it needs to be a much larger amplifier that can handle 100 watts of drive. A Texas Star sweet sixteen is one example, it has eight 2879 finals. Just remember you cannot drive one small amplifier with another small amplifier, you will burn one or both up.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
If I put the mod v in front of the small amp in series like one is suppose to , but ran them separately. (Example ) the 200 watt amp would be in the off position while I was running the mod v and vice versa when running the bigger amp. I know that seems irrelevant to do that, but just for playing around purposes.it shouldn’t hurt the the amp that is behind the mod v as long as that amp is off .. correct ???

It is inviting a meltdown.
If you already have the dx 400 stick the cobra in front of it and call it good.
Sell the mod v and the 200 and buy a nice antenna.
The dx 400 will sound nice and live a long time.
Driving these amps to try to milk a few more watts out is just asking for trouble.
I have a dx 500 in my pickup that I use a President Lincoln in front of.
It works real nice and I let it loaf along doing around 340/ 360 watts.
At these levels it has already lasted many years and I expect it to last many more.
I you have lots of money to burn and want to play with the key down guys that all plays with a different set of rules.
If you want to talk on you equipment have , it sound good and want it to last then do no drive the snot out of it.
It just adds heat and undue stress to your stuff.
I have burned up my share of transistors learning this lesson.
That was back when transistors were cheap.
Not so cheap anymore.

Jeff

When you put two amplifiers the same size in line you would think that simply turning off one of them or the other would be safe to do.

Not quite. The keying circuit in an amplifier built only to take the drive from a barefoot radio will suffer even if the power is off. The keying circuit in the "downstream" amplifier will be damaged by the excess drive power even if it is powered off, simply passing the power through from the "upstream" amplifier.

Excess power will damage a keying circuit whether the power is on or off.

nomadradio is exactly right! I did it. (Not to prove him right or wrong but it was an inadvertent "Senior Moment".) I put a 100 watt signal through a Hygain 2 tube amplifier (the amp was off) and created a bunch of work for myself.

Good Luck!

73's
David

Reactions: Klint
I surely don't need to do that.. Haha, I don't have anybody here in the Auburn, Alabama area that works on em and I sho can't .

Personally, I have an old Texas Star dx350. I run that behind a Grant XL that is set to a 2w dead key. I'm pretty sure that I will never see 300w out of this setup, however I'm pretty sure that I will never burn out that TS. I have never had much problem being heard with this setup. Lack of burning things up & still being heard makes me happy.

Reactions: Klint and 999

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.