• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on 10 meter HAM purchase

If you check the Part 97 it says that you can take a radio from any other service and convert it to work on 10m or anywhere else as long as it cannot operate out of band after the modification, or that it cannot be easily modified to go back to the service from where it came!

This means that it is legal to take a legal CB radio and convert it to operate on 10m as long as it will not work on 11m.

Unfortunately most CB radios today are only AM, and you would have to modify it to work on the AM portion of 10m or add a board to make it operate FM simplex, and a person with just a tech license can't operate 10m AM or FM.
Not to say that anyone would talk to you with just a 5 watt AM signal..
AM'ers tends to be snobbish.
If you don't have 250 watts, they don't like talking to you!

The same modifications used to convert a legal CB radio to freeband up out of the 11 meters CB band will also work to move them into 10m....

http://jcoffman.net/WB5RUA/10_meter_AM_conversion_w_Photos.html

You won't see any of the non part type acceptable - illegal import CB radios for sale anymore in any of the truck stops, CB radio shops or online..
I have heard rumors of people that advertised them for sale locally that had a visit from the State Police and that they were confiscated in Pennsylvania...

I see plenty for sale online and the few CB shops still around that I know of don't seem to want to display them out in front, I wonder why?

I'm curios to know how the state police was able to enforce rules that fall under Federal jurisdiction? you know, The FCC.

Of course you did say it was a rumor.

The best thing to do then - since you belong there and they don't is to start calling CQ and chase them off the frequency.

I understand where you are coming from, be you have to remember the rules. Interfering with transmissions even if those transmissions are illegal, is illegal itself.

This is really a dumb argument that has been hashed and re-hashed countless times on this forum.
Really.

The list of 'illegal 10m radios' found on the internet is ficticious.
A fantasy, a construct that has been de-bunked - ad nauseam.

Shioda (forum member) is an attorney that deals with these issues time and time again in Federal Courts.

You know, that it is just as easy - if not easer - to make a Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood work the CB band with very simple mods.

This is pointless . . .

I only posted a list of the radios which are illegal in this country. I never mentioned anything about home built radios.
The FCC maintains a list of illegal to import CB radios.
Radios such as - Galaxy, Connex, etc are all easily modifiable to operate on 11 meters, includes frequency counters so the user can free band, can be modified by simply cutting a wire or completing a circuit.
The worst part about them is that they are designed to be a illegal CB radio.
They are designed for use as a CW radio or using AM only.
When you try to use them as an amateur radio, you will find that most of them will not transmit above 28.305 MHz - just barely inside of the 10m phone portion of the band.
This is the reason why if you listen to 10m at or around 28.305 when the band opens up, you will hear people talking that does not have call signs.
Most of the ones I hear are talking in Spanish and when you ask them to identify they either go silent or they just keep jabbering in Spanish.
The best thing to do then - since you belong there and they don't is to start calling CQ and chase them off the frequency.
It makes those people feel like big time operators when they freeband up into the amateur bands and to me it is as if they are stealing because I had to work to get my license while they did nothing except but a illegal radio and talk.

The Ranger 2950 was produced as a part acceptable radio when they were first introduced, but after it was found that they included channel numbers and the ability to be modified to work on both CB and amateur radio, they lost their part type acceptance.. I think the ARRL was looking more at the advertising dollars it produced than what it would do to amateur radio when they promoted them 20 years ago...

You won't see any of the non part type acceptable - illegal import CB radios for sale anymore in any of the truck stops, CB radio shops or online..
I have heard rumors of people that advertised them for sale locally that had a visit from the State Police and that they were confiscated in Pennsylvania...

There isn't too many CB Rambo's around my neck of the woods anymore because of this. Most found that it was easier to get the technician class license and go ham then it was to risk everything being a freebander..
Thankyou Ham Man for clearing this up. I never intended for it to become into any type of argument but to clarify what is not considered a legal radio. Your input is appreciated since I am new to the professional HAM field and am enjoying it much.

Ham Man is so far off base it is beyond unreal, Any HAm can use any radio, regardless if it is a CB, Export radio, commercial or 1o Meter radio on the bands that there lic permits and it is as legal as Ice cream.
If you care to search here on this forum, you will find the FCC case number where they were called and asked point blank if they were legal to use and the answer was, yes they are legal, so give it up.
The FCC enforces FCC regulations, not state troopers, or highway patrol, or DOT or anyone else.
Period.
As Rob has already said, the FCC banned list is bullshit.
There are members of this forum that use "so called CB amps" daily on ham bands, I for one have been using a Texas star DX-500V for years on 10/12 meters.
By the way, Texas star got FCC approval to sell there (LoL) CW transmitters, as well as RM Italy has, too bad so sad.
It is a Myth that you need a HAm license to buy radio equipment, again, bullshit.
No law on the books that prohibits purchase.
Just someone else that has a chip on their shoulder about the CB band.
Give it a rest, and stop spreading false info and bagging on guys that like to play CB.
You energy would be better wasted attempting to cleaning up the trash on the Ham bands.
Now, as W9CLL as said, wayy off topic, lets move along.
Have a great day.

Jeff

Reactions: 222DBFL and binrat
For 10m use, best radio I've used was a RCI radio, but you won't find one of the 2900 series radios new, they have been discontinued..

The other radios that has the 10m band in them, have no idea what they do or sound like on 10m...

The fictitious list of FCC "illegal" radios myth is so propagated on ham sites that people think it is fact.

It is not.

That "list" that was published by an FCC employee who did so without authorization. QTH and other sites picked it up and ran with it. That list was not even allowed as evidence in court when Ranger challenged the FCC and won. Member "Shioda" on this site is the attorney that represented Ranger and won, so if you have any questions about supposed FCC "list", I'm sure he would be happy to straighten you out...if he has the time. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this site.

If you don't believe me, create a Pacer account and look up USA v. Ben Metzger, 6:07-cv-01815-ACC-KRS (Middle Distr. Fla., 2009) and USA v. David Pace, 9:08-cv-00218-RC (Eastern Distr. TX., 2009).

I understand where you are coming from, be you have to remember the rules. Interfering with transmissions even if those transmissions are illegal, is illegal itself.
Riley himself stated publicly that you can not illegally interfere with an unlicensed station. He actually encouraged us to interfere with them to drive them off 10 meter.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.