• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on setting up a bench

Tallman i can "C" what you are saying here, and i have just begun work to tune my bench specifically for when i knock on wood.

39wvuq.jpg

LC

Can I borrow that when you’re done? I get the feeling I better tune my bench too, with or against the grain?

Reactions: S&W357
Well forget borrowing, have to buy my own. So I have to do it every time I switch between the two?

So at what point does the bench become untunable due to surface loss and needs to be replaced? A tuned bench is highly important for, well you know, so when do I replace it?

Reactions: Tallman
I agree with what others have said. Make it comfortable to you. Most used equipment with in arms reach. That is the practical approach. Now there is another approach you should consider. That is the safety approach. You do not want your equipment set up to where you could drop a probe, connector or anything into a circuit that could short out something on the DUT.

Also not knowing exactly what you are working on (solid state versus tube gear), this is when the importance of safety comes in to play as tube gear contains high voltage. You want your equipment set up so you are not reaching over the DUT to change settings on your equipment. I learned this the hard way with a D&A Phantom 30 years ago.
It leaves a shocking impression.

Well forget borrowing, have to buy my own. So I have to do it every time I switch between the two?

So at what point does the bench become untunable due to surface loss and needs to be replaced? A tuned bench is highly important for, well you know, so when do I replace it?
Need two benches one AM and the other SSB.

the absolute most important thing to consider when putting together a repair bench for CB radios is to make sure the bench is tuned.

Now, i know that anyone who does this professionally and repairs radios for any other service including amateur radios, commercial radios, and even military equipment will laugh at that statement until they fall out of their chair, but for CB radio specifically, you have to tune your bench.

You see, you don't actually need a real electronics education to repair CB radios, and because of that, you don't have to know things like:

1: a 50 ohm non-reactive load does not require any certain length of coaxial cable to be used.

2: all professional test equipment used in the electronics repair industry is designed and built to present a 50 ohm non reactive impedance, specifically so that any length of coaxial cable can be used. This is imperative because of the range of equipment that might be put on the bench. There has never been a manual written for any piece of RF test equipment that called out for certain lengths of coaxial cable to be used with them.
that would be absurd.

The great thing about repairing ONLY CB radios is that you can throw all this knowledge out the window because your customers won't know any better!

You see, if you were repairing ANY other type of electronics gear, you would be dealing with people who know what they are talking about and would be expected to
have your facts straight as well.

But with CB radio, all you have to do is keep saying the same things over and over, and then bad mouth anyone who disagrees with you or shows you when you are wrong.

What a wonderful world of repair we have in the CB radio hobby.

Oh, and if you would like to know whether a CB radio technician is actually educated in their field; just ask them if they have ever worked in another industry as a repair person.

EVERY CB radio technician that has a real education in electronics repair will also work on other electronics equipment and not just CB radios.

If you find a technician who claims to know it all, but can only work on CB radios, well, run Forest, RUN!.

now, i've got to go take a rest, as my cheek is hurting from having my tongue pressed against it for so long.
LC
And DO NOT FORGET. Make sure all equipment has a up to date calibration sticker on it. And certificate of calibration.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.