• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question.

frmboybuck said:
I see both sides of the story clearly and I dont talk in the ham bands that I am not liscensed in. My problem lies in the snob hams(not all of them are...Just a select few)that wish to patrol the websites and inform people that what they are doing is wrong. They have no rights between 25 and 28 MHz so why do they feel the need to bitch and moan when people talk there?? Mind your own business boys and there wont be any trouble. My opinion is that the "cb" band runs from 26.900 to 27.600. Thats where 99% of the activity is at. It dosent matter though....The CB ops are never going to get more than the regular 40.

.......and "opinion" is what it is: YOUR opinion. Your "opinion" is that the cb band is from 26 to 27.600. No. The CB band is, by LAW and not "opinion", 26.965 thru 27.405. Period and end! The hams "bitch and moan" when they find outlaws on THEIR frequencies! And "some" of them get out there, record, photo,
and vid tape drivers operating on 28 MHZ. One group set up a recorder out West with a camera and a field strength activated receiver. When a trucker came by yapping his trap,
CLICK, he was photo'ed and the recording and the pictures were sent to FCC. Others merely listened on 28 MHZ, and when their receiver "hit" with lots of squelch and attenuation, they quietly monitored the activity, recorded the trucker's conversations that corresponded and sync'ed with their receiver, they sent the truck's name, location, frequency,time of date, etc. in to the "man". Others were quietly riding right beside the trucker where they could observe his transmissions without him ever knowing he was being found out. It is how UPS, FedEx, JW Randolph, Knight, Superior Carriers, Quality Carriers, Tidewater Transit, and United Van Lines got popped. They never knew 'til the company got the letter!

For a time, this illegal activity was rife and VERY common. On the I-85 corridor, between Atlanta and Greensboro, truckers filching 28 MHZ was the norm. Then, Mr Hollingsworth of FCC A S K E D hams to send in reports of drivers yapping on 28 MHZ and they responded. It resulted in a LOT of companies getting warnings and citations. They, in turn, told their drivers they must REMOVE the illegal equipment from their trucks or else be FIRED. This went on for about 2 years. Little by little, the activity decreased so that it is NOT common to hear a LOCAL truck talking on 28 MHZ. While there ARE *some* drivers still filching 10 Meters, it much less noticible around here! We sometimes hear a "skip" station doing it, but the locals can't report that.

As for "patroling" other sites, I would think that some people would APPRECIATE knowing that they might get in hot water with their company since many of them don't KNOW that what they are doing is illegal. This, too, may have contributed to the lessening of the use of 10 Meters by unlicensed persons. After all, many people subscribe to the myth that there "extra" channels for CBers to use and/or that it is OK to use them. Perhaps, this helped to spread the word. *Something* happened because hams can now cruise down the interstate without ever hearing a trucker yapping on 28 MHZ. Before, it was like fishing; the "fish" bit one by one by one!

Would *I* report someone filching 10 Meters? In a New York minute!!! Would I report him for yapping on 12, 17, 20, 40, or 80? So fast, it would make your head swim!!!! :p If you ain't authorized, you ain't got no "spay-shul" rights, no personal pass, and you are not to be there. Period. :D

CWM

AudioShockwav said:
Ok, I think we get were each of you is comming from.
So have we come any closer to an idea as to what it would take to keep everyone Happy?
Hams want to see no intrusion onto Ten Meters.
CB Ops need more room.

Is there a "workable solution" to solve both problems?
Any Ideas?

Jeff

Yes!

Get the ham ticket. Do it LEGALLY! :D For-GET about "extra" channels and illicit amplifiers! Get the ham ticket! Want to have telephone-quality FM communications? Get the ham ticket! Want better equipment and long-distance communications via HF? Get the ham ticket! Want to talk to the astronauts? Get the ham ticket! Want THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of "channels"? Get the ham ticket!

CB radio fills a purpose, but I can't understand why people will hang on stubbornly to a stilted and stuck-in 1958 technology when there is so, so much MORE . E V E R Y T H I N G people WANT is contained in the Amateur Radio license. All you have to do is pick up a small book off the ARRL website and study the rules and regs, the frequencies, and tiny amount of radio theory, and take a surprisingly simple test! What IS it about CB radio that creates this........this......I-don't-know-what-to-call-it...."culture" that hangs on for dear life to a noisy, ineffective, 40 channels that is lucky to talk 10 miles on a non-"skip" day and howls with noise on others when you can buy a used 5 watt handheld for 50 bucks and talk 100 miles like you are on the phone! :roll: The things CBers scream for are THERE; you just have exert a teensy bit of effort to get it! And actually, on MOST days, you can flip across ALL 40 of the CB channels on a given day and there WILL be channels that are as dead as a stone while the others are ROARING with noise. Why? Because people FLOCK to where the people ARE! So the idea that CB "needs" more channels in and of itself is bogus! :D
So, if you WANT far more than CB can EVER offer, get the HAM ticket! :D :D

I think the difference is the manner you operate on both. I like talking on the Amateur freq's. It is neat. But I think the attraction of CB is that it is informal and you can just be yourself when you talk. That isn't the case on the Amateur bands. Not to say it can't be casual talk but it tends to be formal. That in itself may be something that doesn't appeal to the everyday ragchewer. I have enjoyed many conversations on the Ham bands yet I realize it is different. The dx portion of Ham is what appeals to me alot.I had a blast on 2 and 6 meter ssb the past couple of years.

But I think the attraction of CB is that it is informal and you can just be yourself when you talk. That isn't the case on the Amateur bands.
:eek:
I guess Ron hasn't heard this ol country boy from Colorado on the Ham bands. If I can't operate without being myself, well, I wouldn't operate. I am the same person no matter where I am transmittng. ;) I do hear a lot of Hams who you can tell are trying to be someone they are not. Self important band police, who don't have anything but criticism for others to try and make them look good. Hey, just listen up for me in my Dump truck, I'm the one ragchewin it up.
Ed
KC0PZE

LOL ! You're right Ed you can be yourself I just haven't heard a lot of just regular down home ragchewing. SSb I have more so but on repeater activity around here tends to be pretty formal yet there are some old timers that get on I love to listen to that get to jokeing around and get on each other on a few repeaters. So I guess what I posed isn't a hard and fast rule. I sure do miss hearing you Eddy. I have been taking my practice tests and studying lately for the General. Hopefully in the next month or so I can have the written test behind me. :)

HF is a whole different world. Some of the bands are a little more formal than others, 20 seems more that way to me. 17 on the other hand is a great ragchewers band and I love to operate there. I had a 15 min QSO with a station in Kato Japan. We talked about the Super Bowl of all things, it was great. I guess its all in what you make of it. Sometimes I just jump in to a QSO just to loosen things up a bit. HHMMMM, I have that effect quite often :LOL:
:idea:
As far as illegal transmissions on the 10 meter band, or any other amatuer band, this is my opinion. If you don't have a license don't even go there. You are just asking for trouble. Other than that I don't care a whit what you do, ain't none of my business and I ain't gonna stick my nose in it. I take care of myself and see to it that I behave. The amatuer bands are for licensed operator only, and I will protect those.
Ed
KC0PZE

Hey CW.You live in NC right?Well keep an eye out for me in my old chevy pick up over here in Tator city with one of them there big antennas on top talking on those extre channels with that big ole splatter box just a giving them poor old ham ops fits.Be sure to wave at me so i can pull over just so you can take my pic and send it to the FCC to.
And you know what.I will even make sure that i keep a close shave that way you and the FCC will clearly be able to understand the message im sending out to the both of you!

You can read.....Congratulations CW. It is my opinion and thats WHY I said it was my opinion. As a ham, you have no privilages between 26.900 and 27.600 so why should you care if I am there talking to elvis or not?? Thats right you shouldnt. I talk on 154.430 almost daily....Should you care??? NO you arent liscenced there. My point is you guys run around telling people that they should and shouldnt do this or that, yet Ill almost guarantee that you break the law in one way or another everyday. Kinda like calling the kettle black aint it??

As a ham, you have no privilages between 26.900 and 27.600

OK, here is the deal, CW does have privilages there, on certain frequencys, at certain times.
That is were some (click)M.A.R.S. and (click)C.A.P. frequencys are at.
26.910 MARS
26.925 USGOV
26.930 MARS
26.945 USGOV
26.960 USGOV

27.410 EXPERIMENTAL
27.420 USGOV
27.430 BUSINESS
27.440 EXPERIMENTAL
27.450 BUSINESS
27.470 BUSINESS
27.490 BIS (ITINERANT)
27.510 BIS (LOW POWER)
27.520 USGOV
27.530 BIS (LOW POWER)
27.540 USGOV
27.545 USGOV
27.550 USGOV
27.555 USGOV
27.565 USGOV
27.570 USGOV
27.575 USGOV (ITINERANT)
27.585 USGOV (ITINERANT)
27.590 USGOV
27.595 USGOV
27.600 USGOV

They do not get used much, but when they do it can often be in a "preservation of life and limb" type of operation.
In the entire time I have been playing radio, I have run across this type of traffic 3 different times.
I am sure if there were an active unit in your area, you and I would hear more traffic.
For Mars Their primary use (Mission) is to provide Department of Defense sponsored emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.
To provide auxiliary communications for military, civil, and/or disaster officials during periods of emergency.
To assist in effecting normal communications under emergency conditions.
The nation-wide CAP communication system has 840 high-frequency radio stations, 5,000 fixed-land radio stations and 10,000 mobile radios, deployed in CAP units in every state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
So these are very real users.
This is the kind of info that needs to make its way to all radio users so they know what SOME of these frequencys are used for.

Jeff

Well in "life and limb" operations, the rest of us also have privaliges there. Those freqs get used maybe, once in a blue moon and if I heard them on there I would cease operation immediatly. I just get tired of the holier than thou attitude of CW and bandaid.....Once again, they also break the law everyday.

Man, to think my mom was wrong all along. :oops: She always told me that two wrongs don't make a right. :LOL:
:p
I just can't stand the ME attitude that prevails in society today. It is really sad. I heard a quote once that I will always remember, "Courtesy is the lubricant of society" . Well it looks as if the grease barrel is about to run dry. :(
Ed
KC0PZE

fasteddy said:
Man, to think my mom was wrong all along. :oops: She always told me that two wrongs don't make a right. :LOL:
:p
I just can't stand the ME attitude that prevails in society today. It is really sad. I heard a quote once that I will always remember, "Courtesy is the lubricant of society" . Well it looks as if the grease barrel is about to run dry. :(
Ed
KC0PZE

That is my point. "I am this here big, bad reddio operator that is soooooo 'spay-shul' and I got dem rights cuz I am so much more important than anyone else. Them fellers that legitimately obtained the privileges of operating on various frequencies by doing what the authorities required of them is just so beneath me cuz I am jist soooooo special. I got to have SOMETHING validate me, so I' am gonna be big and bad, and filch something that belongs to others!" :?

It is a symptom of US society. *I*, *I*, *I*, *Me* *me*, *me*, what *I* want and the he** with anybody else.

The regulations, imperfect as they are are designed to allow for the most use of the radio spectrum by the most people. They actually do a decent job----until people decide for themselves that *they* are exempt from said laws/regulations. This is simply an extension of the *ME* society that has pervaded and corrupted our society.

The simple solution is for people to just respect the rules, operate where they are allowed with the power and channels allowed. If they want more, there is a way to obtain it without taking away from other people who actually EARNED the privileges. *Some* want to steal those privileges because *I* am just so durned big and bad, just so important, I ain't got time for it, and.or they are too trifling (lazy) to obtain what they wish by legal means.

Nobody here "hates" truckers, or anyone else. What they "hate" is the ones mentioned above that think they are "spay-shul" and got dem rights to tawk anywhere and over the top of anyone else. A few have tunnel vision and lack the ability to see the difference between "hating" a group of people in toto and JUST the ones who violate the law. On the 10 meter thing, we forget that the drivers who got caught were caught because they were ignorantly yapping their trap on 28 MHZ. Any OTHER drivers that were on 27 MHZ were ignored because they were doing nothing wrong. Only-the-people-operating-outside-the-CB band were bothered..or will BE bothered by anyone! :)

OTH, if outlaw CB operators who operate on the HAM bands expect to be legitimized or praised for their illegal and disruptive actions, they are mistaken. What these people do on the so-called 'freeband' ain't up to hams--unless, of course, they happen to be licensed in some other radio service. Then the licensed folks will go after the offenders in the way they are allowed: document and report!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated