1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

R/C car/truck enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by LeapFrog, Apr 17, 2018.

1. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

Do we have any R/C car/truck enthusiasts here?
    I'm sure we have some R/C airplane / heli operators here!

The way these batteries/motors are evolving I may ditch the nitro fuel once and for all..

psycho and ShadeTreeMechanic like this.

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I have been flying r/c planes since 1973. I also dabble in helicopter as well. Never really got into rc cars though. My main obsession has been aerobatics, been competing in that for a long time. I was at one time a licensed pilot and was studying aerobatics in the real stuff, first in a Pitts S2 then a Christian Eagle that I helped build. I let my ticket laspe because I really didn't have the time and money for the real stuff.

LeapFrog likes this.
  3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I was deeply into the RC cars for my son's benefit. And in 2013 got into multi-rotor aircraft. Videos from the birds get boring after a while but the snap shots still are better than ground level photos. Angle and altitude make the difference.
    Yes that is my old tired butt in the photo.

YUN00018.jpg

LeapFrog likes this.
  4. ShadeTreeMechanic

ShadeTreeMechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I got my 16 yo son a car kit for Christmas and I was surprised how many cars come assembled. Putting it together is the fun part. I was into RC cars back in the 80s when I was in middle school. Man the technology has come a long way. This is the re release of the Kyosho Optima. He has learned allot by putting it together.

IMG_20180204_163658778.jpg IMG_20180204_152645888.jpg IMG_20180203_192540994.jpg

LeapFrog and undertaker like this.
  5. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

I like building the kits, it is a lot of fun assembling everything and dialing it in.
    For me the r/c cars became a substitute for building and racing the real ones.

I love the nitro engines, but I have to say the cleanliness of battery operated setups is appealing as long as the batteries hold up for a decent time.

The DIY part of the r/c hobby is great, making something run from a box of parts.
    I recently decided to convert an older stadium truck to a brushless electric motor.
    The motor plate prefabricated is available for $30+, but you could make one from aluminum flat stock for next to nothing. So many options.
    Has anyone seen Keith5700's channel before?

He is putting that engine in a 1/3 scale buggy :D

psycho and ShadeTreeMechanic like this.
  6. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Well-Known Member

You could build a real sweet V10 riding lawnmower with that thing.;)

7. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

I had a Kyosho Inferno buggy 1/8 scale with a powerful .21 engine. Raced it for years and then one day it got away and went straight into a curb at 60 mph.........and so ended the life of that money pit.
    Always keep the receiver battery fully charged!!!!!!!

LeapFrog likes this.
  8. psycho

This sounds like it has a high lift cam and it's amazing! It sounds even more impressive when he lowers the idle. Now he needs to design a miniature Torqueflite 727 and it's ready for a 1/4 scale body.

#8 psycho, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    LeapFrog and ShadeTreeMechanic like this.
  9. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Those engines are cute but this is what I like -

ShadeTreeMechanic likes this.
  10. psycho

ShadeTreeMechanic likes this.