1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio for newbie

Discussion in 'Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club' started by Tweetybird, Oct 13, 2019.

1. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

That's why the ZD is better..lol

binrat and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

I never had an issue with sweep tubes in a transceiver.
    R.L. Drake used sweep tubes in all their gear until they went solid-state.
    That's some of the finest most dependable gear I ever operated!

I must have had 5 or 6 Tempo Ones (Blackface versions) never had one fail unless a tube shorted or got gassy. Then replace the screen or grid resister, another good set of tubes, back on the air.
    Yes, 6146's are great tubes, proven circuits in the old Hybrids, but have had more than one come across the bench blown up also.
    Getting the tubes correctly neutralized when changing them saves a lot of issues, and many times guys pop them out and go new and then wonder why they went FIZZ!!!:whistle::LOL:
    All the Best
    Gary

Woody-202 likes this.
  3. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Sweep tubes are ok. They get a bad rep from the cb amps that guys beat kilowatts out of. An 8877 is easy to kill but it ain't a bad toob.

You could buy a really nice rig if you fixed and sold the pile of sweep tube amps you have.

Tweetybird likes this.
  4. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Kinda the idea only wanted one and got carried away. I would have bought more but I ran out of money and the binge stopped. Besides it's great practice fixing them and they are not as complicated as transceivers.

5. Woody-202

Woody-202 Well-Known Member

Been down that road... with several different radios, parts, and accessories.

I would buy one, then think "I really should have a spare", buy another and think "Jeez, that spare should really have a spare" and then repeat those steps so many times until one day I looked around and realized I had created nest(s) of duplicate stuff I'll probably never use :unsure:

Rwb, binrat and Tweetybird like this.
  6. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Got a reciever from the old days. Lafayette HE-80

Attached Files:

Woody-202, Rwb and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  7. Woody-202

Woody-202 Well-Known Member

Nice (y)

The Lafayette radio catalog was like a Sears "Wish Book" when I was growing up.

8. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

My approach was different. I wanted something current enough that no one was racking their brain to recall how to use. Service available. Major name. Accessories, etc.

No, $200 wasn’t going to do it. Try 3x that (roughly). Still, versus $1,100.00 MSRP, I’m fine with it for a Yaesu ft450d.

I also wanted one that could be portable or fixed-base. My son and will likely swap it back and forth. Into — and back out of — a case it lives a multi-role life.

My son’s a funny one. Tells me getting married last month presents a time impediment on licensure. Re-current pilot training. Etc. A woman’s a woman, right? But a device could talk halfway ‘round the world . . . .

Woody-202 likes this.