• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio hobby woes.......

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
Do any of you share the same feelings as I do when it comes to the radio hobby? I often go through these phases of either getting out of radio for a while, running barefoot, taking the CB out of the mobile, and just running a Ham rig, and so forth and so on.
It seems to coincide with mood I’m in, or the lack of DX. Usually a good DX contact brings me right back.

Oh Well……..

Catch what you can - when you can.
Sometimes there can be a lot of skip - or little for months.
When skip isn't in; I think of ways to improve or repair equipment for better DX.
Cultivate local contacts too.

With local talking it sure helps to be fortunate to have a local group of guys on a regular channel or frequency where you can hang out and be a part. If there aren't many locals around or none you particularly feel like hanging out with, then it gives you much less to do and make you more dependent on skip. I am lucky to have a pretty dynamic group of several dozen guys and gals in my groundwave area to be a part of. We have fun with radios and it keeps most of us coming back.

Back in the 60s and early 70s with 23 channel radios and just about every bodey having one, and with kids doing thier home work on the radio you would have a hard time talking on the radio unless you stayed up really late at night to talk to some one ! THATS WITHOUT A KICKER OF COURSE.:whistle::whistle: Living in a really rural area would have been different I suppose.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.