• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio junkies and gunholics...

trailboss

Apr 25, 2005
Gilbert, Az.
After reading a thread about cleaning an amplifier in the dishwasher, I couldn't help laugh...many milsurp gun owners do the same thing to remove the preservative cosmoline from their wood stocks, and the same warning is made..."do it when the wife is gone"
rofl.gif

Many keep a private slush fund going for those "I gotta have it" moments... I suspect like gun owners some wives see a new radio and say "I don't remember ever seeing that radio" to which the immediate reply is..."that old thing, I have had that forever"
whistle.gif

Gun enthusiast probably have an advantage..they can hide the guns in the safe.
wink_.gif

And for the really hard core radio junkie, they eventually wear the wife down to where she figures "at least he isn't hanging out at the honky tonks"
icon_mrgreen.gif

I am guilty of this with my radios and weapons. I started reading it and got a good laff. I have been marrried for 38 years and it is just like you described. I am glad to know someone else does it too.

Dishwasher? I'd think the oven would do a better job of removing cosmo. I'd hate to get that stuff into the drain :censored:

When my wife finds out I bought a new radio, gun or guitar she gets all happy cause that means she can go on a spending spree. I hide as much as possible. I have used the "oh that old thing I have had that forever but I just fixed it up.

It's a good round, but the way I see it, is if they're over 200 yards out, I don't need to engage. I'm not the military. :D

Their both good rounds, but I would not choose either for a HD situation. The AR15 was designed for close- to mid-range field combat - and it may just as well take two soldiers off the field with one shot (one to medic).

I just could't find a lot of practical application for the AR15, other than target. It's not the best hunting rifle, it might not be the best close range field rifle either, at least not in situations that I would need one.

I still like to have them both, just for fun really. It is great that they come in His and Hers models.

Hello Kitty AR-15 - evil black rifle meets cute and cuddly

Their both good rounds, but I would not choose either for a HD situation. The AR15 was designed for close- to mid-range field combat - and it may just as well take two soldiers off the field with one shot (one to medic).

I just could't find a lot of practical application for the AR15, other than target. It's not the best hunting rifle, it might not be the best close range field rifle either, at least not in situations that I would need one.

I still like to have them both, just for fun really. It is great that they come in His and Hers models.

Hello Kitty AR-15 - evil black rifle meets cute and cuddly

The Hornady TAP 75gr 223, or their even hotter 5.56 loads are supreme for home-defense.

Due to explosive fragmentation, a massive temporary wound cavity is created, as well as a large permanent cavity. Here's an excellent picture of Sierra 77gr in action with hog hunting. It operates on the same principle:
http://www.phossil.com/thom/Hog%20Hole.jpg

Miss your target? No problem!

If that bullet hits anything, it will immediately fragment due to the velocity. One layer of drywall, the bullet fragments into 60-100 little pieces. Second layer of drywall, because the fragments don't carry enough mass to retain velocity, they slow down drastically. By the time the bullet fragments are in the next room, the lethality has dropped down quite a bit, unlike buckshot which would still be carrying almost the same amount of energy.

The theory that the 5.56x45 was created to only wound is a legend created by poor ballistic performance of the steel penetrator SS109/M855 62gr bullets. The M193 55gr or Hornady TAP-type bullets are the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

I love any and all things that go bang and will take a flintlock over nothing!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.