• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack Closing Up To 1,100 Stores

it sucks that people are going to lose thee jobs.. But all there doing is competing with sprint and Verizon selling there phones so there just competing with outer outlets.. They have nothing in there stores but some over priced stereo gear... and severely lacking in component parts, you can get 50 online for the same price at 1 on there store..

Not a total surprise really. they started selling things they normally didn't sell 20 years ago. Stopped selling scanners for the most part and started selling hp printers. at higher prices than most places on top of that. I hate it because I like radio shack. I like the "old" radio shack that I grew up with. maybe they should try "retro" instead of new age and see what happens. Appeal to us older generation instead of the younger crowd. Give us something to make us want to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think AL567 nailed it. I did like Radio Shack way back when before they became the Cell Phone Shack. I still go there if I need a fuse or part they still carry but I'm out of there as quick as I can be before they start the sales pitch for a new cell phone or whatever satellite or cable internet they are pushing this month.

Reactions: 2 people
I grew up with western auto stores as well. I watched them die a slow death a few years ago. It's a shame really. I used to go to radio shack and get the catalog every year. It cost $3.00 with a $3.00 coupon inside. I would look through it for hours. when they decided to stop the catalog I just didn't go there as often. Police call kept me going there once a year until they decided to put a stop to that too. Now I just go there when I think they have something no one else has. Went there not long ago to pick up a coupling. The young clerk didn't know what I was talking about.

RAT SHACK

Agree they will be a name in two years and forgotten.
They were OK 30 years ago, parts, cb radios, ham gear..2, 440 and 10 meters, now junk and kids who NO nothing in their stores...
DOCTOR795

I still use the one here once or twice a month for caps, resistors, transistors and switches. If I'm not in a hurry I'll use Mouser or one of those distributors, but then I spend a lot more on a pile of "extras" to amortize the shipping.

I used to go to RS all of the time for the little electrical geegaws that nobody else had in stock. The other nice thing (before the intrawebz) was that they would order or call to place the item you needed on-hold at another local store for you to pick up, or get it for you!

Now, no... The pimply-faced punk behind the counter is an authority on smart phone apps and video gaming
:thumbdown:

PS--My Realistic TRC-465 rocks!

Reactions: 1 person
The new age of radio shack

Wonder why they are losing business? Someone just asked where the coax is!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.