• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RADIO SHACK HTX 10

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a local with 2 of these in the boxes brandnew never used he wants to throw in on a trade deal on my KLV 550 base amplifier I have forsale. What are these worth or what was the cost from radio shack also can these be frequency expanded and is it worth doing?

Also I read an article that a guy claimed these were made for Radio Shack by Magnum and there basically a Magnum 257 and others were saying they really like theres for 10 meters. I thought I had the frequency expansion modification in a book here somewhere Im not sure what to do but it is an option as far as a trade.

Any info would be helpfull Thanks.....Tony

Radio Shack closed them out for under $50, I bought the local store's display radio for $25.As far CB/Freeband mods I don't know.I've read the mods but never tried it.Some people say they work others say they don't. I do know they are a good 10 mmeter radio.
I doubt Magnum built them for Radio shack and I doubt Magnum builds their own.It's more like Radio Shack and Magnum paid the same company to build them to their specs.

I was wondering about the builder of it I know uniden did some of there CB radios but Im not sure about the others like my HTX 212 mobile 2 meter radio I need repaired if I knew who was responsible for its build I would know what or who to referr it to but AES and Burghardt Amateur all play tupid or the I dont know game when it comes to the who built them topic.

I believe it was a guy on a EHAM Review that said Magnum is who built the HTX- 10

I searched the web radio shack htx 10 and found some reviews and there is a mod to expand the freq. from 26.000 to 29.900 as far as what is good and what is not i have not played with one yet. Sorry i dont have more info for ya

If I remember correctly, there were certain serial numbers that could NOT be modified.

I have had several of these. The only way to mod it is to put a cpu from the 257 in it. Radio Shack did not want these on 11 meter at all. They are a better ten meter radio than the 257, they will tune in 1 khz steps all the way across the band. The 257 will tune in 10 khz steps only, pain in the ass on 10.
Rich

yeah I have to decide what I want to do now like I said there brand new in the boxes. I have a mod here where you just add a resistor.

HTX 10 MOD 25.150-29699mhz 1.open radio look up on front face board if you look very carefully you will see 2 solder pads where there could of been 2 pins for a jumper plug (like the 2950's)you will see one side goes to a smd. and the other goes to a ground island solder a resistor 10 ohms across pads (the resistor is brown black black gold 1/4 watt) Now put the radio back together and hold fun' and button 2 in while turning on .the radio will have a 40 channel display on right of freq display 1-40 press 2 to change bands along w/ lower left button' THERE is NO fine mod for radio due to missing components. and you know how to turn up amc and alc in the rear.

Radio Shack had a ham version and a cb version of these radio's. Neither would mod to talk both 11 and 10m without a chip swap. Unless your a ham I would leave them alone and keep your amp.

Well thats why the guy does not want them anymore hes had them sitting in a closet for a year now he bought them on a closeout at a local radio shack and then said he isnt going to mess with them and he knew that at present I my wife and 2 of my teenage kids are licensed Amateur operators so we may get use out of them.

I was thinking about it but then was wondering if these could be opened for M.A.R.S. frequency expansion but its not looking to good as far as that goes.

The HTX-10 is not a CB radio! [SIZE=+1]The radio [/SIZE]cannot[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]be modified to go below 28.000 Mhz. So if you are thinking about buying one and using it to go down to 11 meters.... forget it![/SIZE] There are several mods floating around the net but it seems that none of them work on the HTX-10. There are several versions of this radio sold by different companies some of which use a different CPU which will allow the radio to go "out of band". If this is the case then the CPU in the HTX-10 would have to be changed, not an easy task as it is soldered to the board. The HTX-10 has been on the market for a few years now. If there was an easy way to extend the frequency range I'm sure someone would have found it by now!
RADIO SHACK

It requires a CPU swap. Years ago I had one thinking it was just like all the others it resembled. Sold it. Wish I had it now :)

Radio Shack had a ham version and a cb version of these radio's. Neither would mod to talk both 11 and 10m without a chip swap. Unless your a ham I would leave them alone and keep your amp.

The CB version (TRC-485) can be expanded to cover 25.165-29.655 MHz.

I would love to find someone with one new in the box that i could snag
would use it just for 10 meters . i already have a rci 2950 to do both.

KD0GOJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.