• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack TRC490 mode switch needed.

Techno1

Feb 21, 2022
New Hampshire
Im looking for a good AM SSB switch the one in radio is scratchy when switching modes.

I tried to shoot some contact cleaner inside the shaft but the switch seems sealed/closed.

I'm also sure its the same as a Uniden Washington pll 8734/8719.

Has anyone replaced with something that will work.

thanks

Way cool! Just remember the number markings on the solder lugs on the new switch may or may not match the numbering on the old one. Pretty sure they have a diagram for the new switch on the sale listing. Be sure to save a copy of it for later reference, in case you have to figure out where to put the wires.

Way cool! Just remember the number markings on the solder lugs on the new switch may or may not match the numbering on the old one. Pretty sure they have a diagram for the new switch on the sale listing. Be sure to save a copy of it for later reference, in case you have to figure out where to put the wires.

Sending thanks too Nomad, info like that is handy to have on hand......

I ordered the same from Aliexpress $3.89 per sw and $2.86 shipping so I ordered 5 sw about $23.25 for 5 sw.

Ill get out my meter out and check out the current wiring and see if the switches are the same when switched to a different mode..

again thanks for the help and info

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Can't remember how many separate poles (circuits) that switch has to have. Here is the 4-pole version on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338426933...pid=5336136228&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

And here is the 8-pole version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1441452140...pid=5336136228&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Nomadradio.

I received the switches from the link you posted. I guess I did not look close enough. The shaft is not Knurled its smooth for a knob with a set screw.
Fyi to others im going to see if the knob will fit over the shaft and then maybe drill a small hole and tap it for a set screw. I will file a flat spot on the shaft where the knob will align for center USB spot. Im sure i can make it work.
I did not look closely at the picture of the shaft switch.
I have a bunch of these switches and all different positions and poles and all knurled shaft so that made me not think to look at the ones I just received.

I bought 5 of them so we will see if my idea i posted will work.

thanks Nomadradio for your help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.