1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

radio 'sondes' on VHF and UHF

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by mechanic, Aug 25, 2018.

1. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

My operations on two meters SSB with locals is decent and living in the Great Lakes area only seems to enhance this. Many times talking with locals and my yagi pointed East I have been hearing radio propagation 'pips' or 'twits' on 144.200 USB. They for all the World sound like what is heard on most any HF frequency.
    On HF they are called ionosondes as they are used to follow and keep pace with propagation of the ionosphere. For the last three months I have been hearing them on VHF mainly when my yagi is pointed East and off this bearing the signals are less.
    Scant reference on the NET about this but there is mention of a Canadian University (London) having this study done. The transmitter site is near Ottawa so from my grid of EN66 this proves the East direction. Apparently the study is for the propagation over terrain and the great lakes. Being near the waters of the Great Lakes enhances VHF and UHF propagation.

73 Rod W8GRI

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Sweet Rod! When I was really active on VHF I used to do a lot of Aurora bounging and wanted to EME but did have the room for the array.

3. Grinder74

Grinder74 KE8EOJ

You vertical or horizontal? Have a 4 el to put up. SW Ohio.