• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 6900 board 8 v regulator.

Have a look at the number on that, er, "transistor".

I'll guess that it shows something like "7808" or "7809", or "78M09".

Or maybe "LM340".

More than once when the two-transistor regulator fails in a radio with a EPT6900 pc board we save the labor of fixing the original circuit by bolting in a one-piece 3-terminal regulator. Looks like a transistor until you read the type number.

Does the same job, and also has a current limit built into it. Fooling around with the echo board, or taking loose a board bolted to the side rail can short the 9-Volt supply to ground and blow out the factory regulator.

It's a PITA to troubleshoot the factory circuit, but the 3-terminal part will fix the problem quickly and be more reliable in the long run.

Pinout of the new regulator chip calls for some "crossed legs" to get the proper hookup.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I knee-jerk reacted and ASSumed it was an 1869. Blowing up the pic and then looking at it under a glass, yeah I'm old, it is a 17808T. Q35, D73 and R 214 were never installed in the board, so get ready for multiple questions.
1. This was from the factory?
2. When replacing Q37 or T41 is this the way to go?
3. Is there something better?

I would prefer to always to make better, so your advise will not fall on deaf ears.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?